Vrushali G. Raut, Bharatee P. Chaudhari, Vivekkumar K. Redasani
Vrushali G. Raut1*, Bharatee P. Chaudhari2, Vivekkumar K. Redasani3
1M. Pharmacy Student, Department of Pharmaceutics, YSPM’s Yashoda Technical Campus, Faculty of Pharmacy, Satara 415011, (M.S.) India.
2Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmaceutics, YSPM’s Yashoda Technical Campus, Faculty of Pharmacy, Satara 415011, (M.S.) India.
3Principal, YSPM’s Yashoda Technical Campus, Faculty of Pharmacy, Satara 415011, (M.S.) India.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2022
The purpose of this study was to manufacture liquisolid compact of high dose poorly water-insoluble drug, Carbamazepine (CBZ) by using novel superdisintegrant for the purpose of fast disintegration and improved its dissolution rate. The solubility of CBZ was analyzed in various non-volatile solvents in order to find the vehicle with the maximum solubility. The dissolving profile of liquisolid compacts was compared to a marketed tablet formulation's dissolution profile. CBZ was found to be much more soluble in polyethylene glycol 200 than in the other solvents. Crosspovidone-containing formulations showed no disintegration, but all other formulations disintegrated after 91.2 seconds. A Starch Glutamate-Croscarmellose Sodium combination has a disintegration time of 42.5 seconds. The optimized batch NSC1 including Starch Glutamate-Croscarmellose Sodium had 94.81 % greater drug release compared to the marketed formulation. This investigation found that the novel superdisintegrant had the fastest disintegration and the highest drug release compared to other disintegrants.
Cite this article:
Vrushali G. Raut, Bharatee P. Chaudhari, Vivekkumar K. Redasani. Influence of Newly Synthesized Superdisintegrant on Dissolution Rate Enhancement of Carbamazepine using Liquisolid Compact Technique. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 12(2):107-4. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2022.00018
Vrushali G. Raut, Bharatee P. Chaudhari, Vivekkumar K. Redasani. Influence of Newly Synthesized Superdisintegrant on Dissolution Rate Enhancement of Carbamazepine using Liquisolid Compact Technique. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 12(2):107-4. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2022.00018 Available on: https://ajpsonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-2-4
1. Spireas S, Sadu S. Enhancement of prednisolone dissolution properties using liquisolid compacts. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 1998 May 18;166(2):177-88.
2. Fahmy RH, Kassem MA. Enhancement of famotidine dissolution rate through liquisolid tablets formulation: in vitro and in vivo evaluation. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics. 2008 Aug 1;69(3):993-1003.
3. Spireas S, Wang T, Grover R. Effect of powder substrate on the dissolution properties of methyclothiazide liquisolid compacts. Drug development and industrial pharmacy. 1999 Jan 1;25(2):163-8.
4. Nokhodchi A, Hentzschel CM, Leopold CS. Drug release from liquisolid systems: speed it up, slow it down. Expert opinion on drug delivery. 2011 Feb 1;8(2):191-205.
5. Nokhodchi A, Javadzadeh Y, Siahi-Shadbad MR, Barzegar-Jalali M. The effect of type and concentration of vehicles on the dissolution rate of a poorly soluble drug (indomethacin) from liquisolid compacts. Journal of Pharmacy and pharmaceutical Sciences. 2005;8(1):18-25.
6. Javadzadeh Y, Siahi MR, Asnaashari S, Nokhodchi A. An investigation of physicochemical properties of piroxicam liquisolid compacts. Pharmaceutical development and technology. 2007 Jan 1;12(3):337-43.
7. Hentzschel CM, Alnaief M, Smirnova I, Sakmann A, Leopold CS. Enhancement of griseofulvin release from liquisolid compacts. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics. 2012 Jan 1;80(1):130-5.
8. Khanfar M, Sheikh Salem M, Hawari R. Formulation factors affecting the release of ezetimibe from different liquisolid compacts. Pharmaceutical development and technology. 2013 Apr 1;18(2):417-27.
9. El-Houssieny BM, Wahman L, Arafa N. Bioavailability and biological activity of liquisolid compact formula of repaglinide and its effect on glucose tolerance in rabbits. Bioscience trends. 2010 Feb 1;4(1).
10. Burra S, Yamsani M, Vobalaboina V. The Liquisolid technique: an overview. Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2011;47:475-82.
11. Hentzschel CM, Sakmann A, Leopold CS. Suitability of various excipients as carrier and coating materials for liquisolid compacts. Drug development and industrial pharmacy. 2011 Oct 1;37(10):1200-7.
12. Priemel PA, Laitinen R, Grohganz H, Rades T, Strachan CJ. In situ amorphisation of indomethacin with Eudragit® E during dissolution. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics. 2013 Nov 1;85(3):1259-65.
13. Loh ZH, Samanta AK, Heng PW. Overview of milling techniques for improving the solubility of poorly water-soluble drugs. Asian journal of pharmaceutical sciences. 2015 Jul 1;10(4):255-74.
14. Paradkar A, Ambike AA, Jadhav BK, Mahadik KR. Characterization of curcumin–PVP solid dispersion obtained by spray drying. International journal of pharmaceutics. 2004 Mar 1;271(1-2):281-6.
15. Hamishehkar H, Emami S, Lamei B, Valizadeh H, Jouyban A. Evaluation of solubility and dissolution profile of itraconazole after cogrinding with various hydrophilic carriers. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology. 2014 Jan 1;24(6):653-8.
16. Singh B, Bandopadhyay S, Kapil R, Singh R, Katare OP. Self-emulsifying drug delivery systems (SEDDS): formulation development, characterization, and applications. Critical Reviews™ in Therapeutic Drug Carrier Systems. 2009;26(5).
17. Bharat C, Tyagi S, Chirag P, Pinkesh P, Jaimin P, Kumar U, Mangukia D. Preparation and evaluation of nanosuspension of poorly soluble drug albendazole. Journal of Drug Discovery and Therapeutics. 2013;1(1):37-42.
18. Luo Y, Xu L, Xu M, Tao X, Ai R, Tang X. Improvement of dissolution and bioavailability of Ginsenosides by hot melt extrusion and cogrinding. Drug development and industrial pharmacy. 2013 Jan 1;39(1):109-16.
19. Smirnova I, Suttiruengwong S, Seiler M, Arlt W. Dissolution rate enhancement by adsorption of poorly soluble drugs on hydrophilic silica aerogels. Pharmaceutical development and technology. 2005 Jan 1;9(4):443-52.
20. M. V. S. Ghorpade, "Preparation and evaluation of domperidone/β-cyclodextrin/citric acid/mannitol quaternary inclusion complex: An in vitro study." Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics (AJP): Free full text articles from Asian J Pharm, pp. 375-385, (2016).
21. Kailas K, Remeth J, Vishwajeet SG, Vijay DH. Sodium alginate microspheres containing multicomponent inclusion complex of domperidone. Lat. Am. J. Pharm. 2010;29(7):1199-207.
22. Dias RJ, Mali KK, Ghorpade VS, Havaldar VD, Mohite VR. Formulation and evaluation of carbamazepine liquisolid compacts using novel carriers. Indian J Pharm Educ Res. 2017 Apr 1;51(S2):S69-78.
23. Kumar RS, Mudili S. Synthesis and Characterisation of Starch Glutamate as a Novel Superdisintegrant. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2019 Jul 7;9(4):100-3.
24. S. A. Kumar, “Formulation and evaluation of statistically designed ibuprofen fastdissolving tablets employing starch glutamate as a novel superdisintegrant.," Asian J Pharm Clin Res , pp. 85-94., (2019).
25. Tiong N, Elkordy AA. Effects of liquisolid formulations on dissolution of naproxen. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics. 2009 Nov 1;73(3):373-84.
26. M. Rockville, Monograph, C. E. R. T. In United States Pharmacopeia and National Formulary., United States Pharmacopeial Convention. (2005).
27. V. IV. And 2. A256-A274, British Pharmacopoeia, London: The Stationary Office.
28. V. I. &. I. D. T. C. o. publications, Indian Pharmacopoeia., The Controller of publications, 1996. .
29. Tayel SA, Soliman II, Louis D. Improvement of dissolution properties of carbamazepine through application of the liquisolid tablet technique. European journal of pharmaceutics and biopharmaceutics. 2008 May 1;69(1):342-7.
30. Costa P, Lobo JM. Modeling and comparison of dissolution profiles. European journal of pharmaceutical sciences. 2001 May 1;13(2):123-33.
31. A. N. Kulkarni AS, " Liquisolid sytems: A Review.," Int J Pharm Sci Nanotechnol, pp. 795-802., (2010).
32. A. N. Balaji, “Liquisolid technology-A latest review." International Journal of Applied Pharmaceutics, pp. 11-19., (2014).
33. V Jhansipriya Marabathuni, M. Bhavani, M. Lavanya, K. Padmaja, N. Madhavi, P. Babu, Ch. M. M. Prasada Rao. Formulation and evaluation of mouth dissolving Tablets of carbamazepine. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2017; 7 (3): 137-143.
34. N.M. Vageesh, D Rafian, U. Govindamma, Ramya Sri Sura. Preparation and In Vitro Charactersation of Fast Disintigrating Tablets of Cimetidine. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2017; 7(3):141-148.
35. D. M. Shinkar, A. N. Patil, R. B. Saudagar. Solubility and Dissolution Enhancement of Sulfasalazine by Solid Dispersion Technique. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(4):1277-1282.
36. Tham Hong Pham, Hieu Thi Minh Huynh, Ha Thi Vo, Hung Manh Tran. Effect of CYP3A5 genotypes on serum carbamazepine concentrations at steady-state in Vietnamese epileptic patients. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(6): 2802-2806.
37. Rathod S, Mali S, Shinde N, Aloorkar N. Cosmeceuticals and Beauty Care Products: Current trends with future prospects. Research Journal of Topical and Cosmetic Sciences. 2020; 11(1):45-51.
38. R. Narayana Charyulu, Gautami Biswas, Travassos Pearl Wilma, Fiona Melreen Castelino, Ravi G. S. Development of Scopolamine Hydrobromide Orodispersible Films as an Anti-sialagogue in Dentistry: Optimization and in vitro Evaluation. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(10):4570-4578.
39. Nawaz Mahammed, et al. Formulation and Evaluation of Clopidogrel Bisulphate Tablets by Liquisolid Compact Technique. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(5):2427-2434.
40. Shreya, Ayesha Heena, Ranjitha, Amrutha A Shetty, Chetan H Mehta, Usha Y Nayak, Srinivas Mutalik, K Girish Pai. Solubility and Dissolution Improvement of Carbamazepine by Various Methods. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(7): 3333-3337.
41. Girishchandra R. Mandake, Shital S. Shinde, Omkar A. Patil, Manojkumar M. Nitalikar. Dissolution enhancement of Telmisartan by spray drying technique. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2018; 8 (4):264-269.
42. Ashok Thulluru, Nawaz Mahammed, C. Madhavi, K. Nandini, S. Sirisha, D. Spandana. Sublingual Tablets - An Updated Review. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2019; 9(2): 97-103.