Before inhibitors of the proton pump and antagonists of the H2 receptor, the mainstay of therapy was antacids for acid-peptic diseases. In this work different tests for characterization of different brands of antacid granules were carried out. This study set out to compare the quality of five antacid brands. Angle of repose, Bulk density, Tapped density, Carr's index, Hausner's ratio, Effervescent duration, Preliminary Antacid Test, Acid Neutralizing Capacity, Reheis Test, and Rosette Rice Test were used to compare the antacid granules. In the examination of several antacid granules available in the market, the values of bulk density, tapped density, angle of repose, carr's index, and hausner's ratio reveal that Brands A, B, and D have good flow property, Brand C has fair property, and Brand E has passable flow property. Brand A has a shorter effervescent time than other brands, while Brand D has a longer one. Because the antacid-acid (HCl) solution's pH for each brand is found to be greater than pH 3.5, all of the brands are considered to be antacids. The acid neutralizing capacity (ANC) test reveals that none of the antacid products meet the US FDA's requirement that they have an acid neutralizing capacity of at least 5 mEq. The Reheis test revealed that Brand B needed more time than other brands to neutralize, but Brand D needed less time. Brand A required less time than other brands to maintain the pH level between 3 and 5, while Brand D required more time, according to the Rosette rice test.
Cite this article:
Sakshi D. Dandgawal, Rahul Y. Pagar, Dhananjay M. Patil. Comparative Characterization of Marketed Antacid Granules. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2023; 13(3):201-5. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2023.00035
Sakshi D. Dandgawal, Rahul Y. Pagar, Dhananjay M. Patil. Comparative Characterization of Marketed Antacid Granules. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2023; 13(3):201-5. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2023.00035 Available on: https://ajpsonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-13-3-3
1. Dhawal PP, Barve SS. Preliminary in-vitro evaluation of marketed formulations for antacid activity.
2. Alalor C, Avbunudiogba J, Builders F, Okpara L. Evaluation of the acid-neutralizing capacity of Some Commercially Available Brands of Antacid Tablets in Nigeria. East Afr Med J. 2019;2(1):12-6.
3. Jacob S, Shirwaikar A, Anoop S, Khaled R, Imtiaz M, Nair A. Acid neutralization capacity and cost-effectiveness of antacids sold in various retail pharmacies in the United Arab Emirates. Hamdan Medical Journal. 2016 Apr 1;9(2):137.
4. DivyaJ.O, Faseela M. Rasheed. Evalution Of The Effectiveness Of Acid Neutralizing Property Of Traditional Antacids Commonly Used In India. Journal of Scientific Research.Volume 65 Issue 4, 2021.
5. Ayensu I, Bekoe SO, Adu JK, Brobbey AA, Appiah E. Evaluation of acid neutralizing and buffering capacities of selected antacids in Ghana. Scientific African. 2020 Jul 1;8:e00347.
6. Devi JR, Das B. Preparation and evaluation of ibuprofen effervescent granules. Asian journal of pharmaceutical and clinical research. 2019;12(8):52-5.
7. Al-Hashemi HM, Al-Amoudi OS. A review on the angle of repose of granular materials. Powder technology. 2018 May 1;330:397-417.
8. Teferra TF. Engineering properties of food materials. In Handbook of farm, dairy and food machinery engineering 2019 Jan (1): 45-89
9. Patel SG, Siddaiah M. Formulation and evaluation of effervescent tablets: a review. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2018 Nov 15;8(6):296-303.
10. Bagade OM, Kharat PP, Pujari RR, Raskar VS, Shete AM, Vanve MD. Design and statistical optimization of antacid analgesic effervescent tablets by using factorial design. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2014;6:453-9.
11. Gupta R, Sharma P, Garg A, Soni A, Sahu A, Rai S, Rai S, Shukla A. Formulation and evaluation of herbal effervescent granules incorporated with Calliandrahaematocephala leaves extract. Indo American Journal Pharmaceutical Research. 2013;3:4366-71.
12. Goldfarb D, Ramachandruni H. Measurement of bulk and tapped density on pharmaceutical powders. InAPS Division of Fluid Dynamics Meeting Abstracts 2003 Nov (Vol. 56, pp. DQ-005).
13. Banerjee ND, Shukla SS, Singh SR. Formulation and Evaluation of Antacid Analgesic Tablet. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2013 Jun 1;4(6):2327.
14. Kushal Nandi, Dr. Dhrubo Jyoti Sen, Dr. Falguni Patra, Dr. Bankim Nandy, Dr. Khokan Bera and Dr. Beduin Mahanti. Angle of reposewalks on its two legs: Carr Indexand Hausner Ratio. World Journal Of Pharmacy And Pharmaceutical Sciences. Volume 9, Issue 5, 1565-1579.
15. Veer S. Sawate AR, Kshirsagar RB, Agarkar BS, Patil BM. Studies on quality assessment of ashwagandha rppt (Withania somnifera) powder IJCS .2019; 7(2):556-9
16. Diyya AS, Thomas NV. Formulation and evaluation of metronidazole effervescent granules. Int J Pharm Sci Res. 2018 Jun 1;9(6):2525-9.
17. Bhattacharyya S, Swetha G. Formulation and evaluation of effervescent granules of Fexofenadine hydrochloride. The Pharma Innovation. 2014 May 1;3(3, Part A):1.
18. Verma PR, Shrivastava A, Pathria A. In vitro evaluation of some ayurvedic antacids. Ancient Science of life. 1996 Oct;16(2):152.
19. Gilbertson WE. The Impact of the FDA's Over-the-Counter Drug Review Program on the Regulation of Cosmetics. The Cosmetic Industry: Norman F. 2019 Jul 9:71.
20. GadhveManoj V et al.2016, Formulation Development and Evaluation of Rapidly Disintegrating Antacid Tablets. International Journal Recent Science Research. 7(10), 13802-13806.
21. Verma PR, Shrivastava A, Pathria A. In vitro evaluation of some ayurvedic antacids. Ancient Science of life. 1996 Oct;16(2):152.
22. United States Pharmacopoeia, USP/NF 2009, The Official Compendia of Standards, Asian Edition, (1):139 – 140.
23. Rao GC, Sahoo NK, Parhi R, Panigrahi N. Study on the effectiveness of branded and generic antacid suspension forms. J Pharm Res. 2011;4(3):612-3.
24. Spivey RJ, Goodhart FW. In vitro acid reactivity of three commercial antacid tablets. American Journal of Hospital Pharmacy. 1979 May 1;36(5):660-3.
25. Richa A, Kadam HM, Kadam SS, Paradkar AR. Studies on shankha bhasma-I antacid activity evaluation of Shankha Bhasma. Indian journal of pharmaceutical sciences. 1997;59(5):254.
26. Syed Abdul Azeez, Afreen Sultana, Amtul Hajera. β-Cyclodextrin with Sodium Alginate based Nanosponges Preparation and Characterization in the Removal of Organic Toxin: p-Cresol in the Simulated Biological Fluids. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 12(4):261-1. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2022.00045.
27. Bhagyashri V. Aiwale, Bharatee P. Chaudhari, Atish B. Velhal, Vivekkumar K. Redasani. A Review on in situ Gel of Gastro Retentive Drug Delivery System. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 12(4):314-0. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2022.00054.
28. Sanket Nikam, Prakash Jadhav, Bharti Chaudhari, Atish Velhal. Pulsatile Delivery of Drug for a Range of Diseases. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 12(4):329-4. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2022.00056.
29. A. A. Shinde, A. B. Velhal, P. D. Jadhav, V. K. Redasani. A Review on Emulgel: Improvement of Topical Absorption of Drug. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 12(4):335-0. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2022.00057.
30. Shivani Deshmukh, Bharati Chaudhari, Atish Velhal, Vivekkumar Redasani.. A Review on Diverging approaches to Fabricate Polymeric Nanoparticles. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 12(4):341-4. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2022.00058.
31. Prasad Deshmukh, Mukund Tawar, Vaishnavi Chandak, Rachana Hallale, Alisha Hirani, Omkar Rajurkar. Preparation and Evaluation of Hydrogel Alginate Beads of Rifaximin. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 12(4):285-0. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2022.00049.
32. R. R. Shinde, B. P. Chaudhari, A. B. Velhal, V. K. Redasani. Pharmacosome as a Vesicular Drug Delivery System. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 12(4):291-6. doi: 0.52711/2231-5659.2022.00050.
33. Harshada I Patil, Dhiraj Kamble. A Brief Review on Covid-19 associated Mucormycosis. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 12(4):297-3. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2022.00051.
34. A. V. Panval, B. P. Chaudhari, A. B. Velhal, V. K. Redasani. A Novel Tool for Controlled Delivery: Transdermal Drug Delivery System. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 12(4):304-8. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2022.00052.
35. Varalakshmi Avula, S. Sundar. P, Sree Rekha. B, Kalpana. M. Analytical methods to detect the Adulterants in Milk - An Overview. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 12(4):272-6. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2022.00046.