N. Krishna Veni, P. Yashwanthi, B. Hemalatha, K. Padmalatha
N. Krishna Veni1, P. Yashwanthi1, B. Hemalatha1*, K. Padmalatha2
1Department of Pharmaceutics, Vijaya Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences for Women, Vijayawada.
2Department of Pharmacology, Vijaya Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences for Women, Vijayawada.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2022
Topical drug delivery has been used for centuries for the treatment of local skin disorders. Drugs applied to the skin for their local action include antiseptics, antifungal agents, skin emollients, and protectants. Major disadvantage of gel is the delivery of hydrophobic drug. This can be overcome by emulgels. Emulgels have emerged as one of the most attractive topical delivery system as it has dual release control system i.e. gel and emulsion. Since hydrophobic drugs are not soluble in gel bases, it causes problem during the release of drug. When gel and emulsion are used in combination the dosage form is referred as emulgel. In emulgel formulation, the hydrophobic drugs could be incorporated into the oil phase and then oily globules are dispersed in aqueous phase resulting in o/w emulsion which can be mixed into the gel base. The major aim behind this formulation is delivery of hydrophobic drugs to systemic circulation via skin. A distinctive feature of topical drug delivery is the straight accessibility of the skin as a target organ for the treatment. This might be proving improved stability and release of drug than just incorporating drugs into gel base. The purpose of this review article is to exemplify emulgel for topical drug delivery, advantages and disadvantages of emulgel, physiology of skin, major components of emulgel, method of preparation, characterization and marketed products of emulgel.
Cite this article:
N. Krishna Veni, P. Yashwanthi, B. Hemalatha, K. Padmalatha. A Review on Emulgels as a Novel Approach for Topical Drug Delivery. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 12(2):163-8. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2022.00028
N. Krishna Veni, P. Yashwanthi, B. Hemalatha, K. Padmalatha. A Review on Emulgels as a Novel Approach for Topical Drug Delivery. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 12(2):163-8. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2022.00028 Available on: https://ajpsonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-2-14
1. Davinder Kumar, Jasbir Singh, Mamta Antil and Virender Kumar. Emulgel-novel topical drug delivery system–a comprehensive review. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research 2016; 7(12): 4733 -4742.
2. Sanjay K Jain, Pawan Bajapi, Shailendra K Modi, Prashant Gupta. A Review on Emulgel, as a Novel Trend in Topical Drug Delivery System. Recent Trends in Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research 2019; 1(2): 30 - 39.
3. Begum S. Gousia, Madhusudan Chetty C., Voleti Vijay Kumar, Pavithra B, Akhila B, Gayathri C, Ruksar S and Sravani T. A Review on Emulgels-A Novel Approach for Topical Drug Delivery. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Development 2019; 7(2): 70 - 77.
4. Jaise Thomas, S Kuppuswamy, Anwara Aliyar Sahib, Ashinaa Benedict, Eby George. A Review on Emulgel as a Current Trend in Topical Drug Delivery System. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Research 2017; 9(3): 273 - 281.
5. Shailaja Pant, Ashutosh Badola, Sweta Baluni and Warsha Pant. A review on emulgel novel approach for topical drug delivery system. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2015; 4(10): 1728 - 1743.
6. Sunil Kumar Yadav, Manoj Kumar Mishra, Anupamaa Tiwari, Ashutosh Shukla. Emulgel: A new approach for enhanced topical drug delivery. International Journal of Current Pharmaceutical Research 2017; 9(1): 15 – 19.
7. Devi Suman, Sangeeta and Kumari Beena. Emugel for topical drug delivery: A novel approach. GSC Biological and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2020; 11(03): 104 - 114.
8. Prajakta Kegade, Rutuja Sawant, Shreya Parkar and Akshay Gade. Emulgel: In treatment of periodontitis. World Journal of Advance Healthcare Research 2020; 4(5): 71 – 77.
9. Hyma.P, Noor Jahan, Raheemunissa, Sreelekha and Babu K. Emulgel: A Review. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Archive 2014; 3(3): 1 – 11.
10. R. P. Singh, S. Parpani, R. Narke, R. Chavan. Emulgel: A recent approach for topical drug delivery system. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Development 2014; 2(2): 112-123.
11. Sonam Vats, CharuSaxena, TS Easwari, VK Shukla. Emulsion Based Gel Technique: Novel Approach for Enhancing Topical Drug Delivery of Hydrophobic Drugs. International Journal for Pharmaceutical Research Scholars (IJPRS) 2014; 3(2): 649 – 660.
12. Khullar, R., Saini, S., Sethi, N., & Rana, A. C. Emulgel a surrogate approach for topically used hydrophobic drugs. Int. J. Pharm. Biol. Sci., 2011; 117-128.
13. Wani RR, Patil MP, Dhurjad P, Chaudhari CA, Kshirsagar SJ. Microemulsion Based Gel: A Novel Approach in Delivery of Hydrophobic Drugs. IJPRS 2015; 4(2): 397 – 410.
14. Jain A, Gautam SP, Gupta Y., Development and characterization of ketoconazole emulged for topical drug Delivery. Der Pharmacia Sinica 2010; 1(3): 221-231.
15. Kaushal R. Sabu, Ganesh D. Basarkar. Formulation, Development and In-vitro Evaluation of Terbinafine Hydrochloride Emulgel for Topical Fungal Infection. Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Rev. Res., 2013; 21(2): 168-173.
16. Kalpesh Chhotalal Ashara, Jalpa S. Paun, Moinuddin M. Soniwala, Jayant R. Chavada, Nitin Merubhai Mori. Microemulsion based emulgel: a novel topical drug delivery system, Asian Pac J Trop Dis 2014; 4(suppl 1): S27-S32.
17. Rachit K., Saini S., Seth N., & Rana A. Emulgels – a surrogate approach for topical use hydrophobic drugs. International Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences 2011; 1(3): 117 - 128.
18. Mohamed S. D. Optimization of Chlorphenesin Emulgel Formulation. American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists 2004; 6(3): 1 - 7.
19. Anu Hardenia, Sonali Jayronia and Sanjay Jain: Emulgel: An Emergent Tool In Topical Drug Delivery. Ijpsr 2014; 5(5): 1653 - 1660.
20. Gaur PK, Mishra S, Purohit S and Dave K. Transdermal Drug Delivery System: A Review. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research 2009; 2: 14 - 20.
21. Subramanian N, Ghosal SK, Moulik SP. Enhanced in vitro percutaneous absorption and in vivo anti-inflammatory effect of a selective cyclooxygenase inhibitor using microemulsion. Drug development and industrial pharmacy 2005; 31(4-5): 405 - 416.
22. Kanikkannan N, Kandimalla K, Lamba SS, Singh M. Structure activity relationship of chemical penetration enhancers in transdermal drug delivery. Current medicinal chemistry 2000; 7(6): 593 - 608.
23. Panwar A, Upadhyay N, Bairagi M, Gujar S, Darwhekar G, Jain D. Emulgel: a review. Asian J Pharm Life Sci. 2011; 1(3): 2231:4423.
24. Pathan IB, Setty CM. Chemical penetration enhancers for transdermal drug delivery systems. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2009; 8(2): 173 - 179.
25. Jain A, Deveda P, Vyas N, Chauhan J, Khambete H, Jain S. Development of antifungal emulsion based gel for topical fungal infections. IJPRD 2011; 2(12): 18 - 22.
26. Singh PB, Choudhury PK. Penetration enhancers for transdermal drug delivery of systemic agents. J Pharm Res. 2007; 6(2): 44 - 50.
27. Shahin M, Hady SA, Hammad M, Mortada N. Novel jojoba oil-based emulsion gel formulations for clotrimazole delivery. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech 2011; 12: 239 - 247.
28. Kumar NPM, Patel MR, Patel KR, Patel NM. Emulgels: a novel approach to topical drug delivery. Int. J. Univ. Pharm. Bio Sci. 2013; 2: 134 - 148.
29. Joshi B, Singh G, Rana AC, Saini S and Singla V. Emulgel: A comprehensive Review on the recent advance in topical drug delivery. International Research Journal of Pharmacy 2011; 2(11): 66 - 70.
30. Mathew LK and Abraham S. Emulgel: An innovative approach for topical drug delivery. International Journal of Universal Pharmacy and Bio Sciences 2014; 3(4): 207-223.
31. Eswaraiah S, Swetha K, Lohita M, Preethi J and Reddy KK. Emulgel: review on novel approach to topical drug delivery. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2014; 4(1): 4 - 11.
32. Pant S, Badola A, Baluni S and Pant W. A review on Emulgel novel approach for topical drug delivery system. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2015; 4(10): 1728 - 1743.
33. Patel J, Trivedi J and Chudhary S. Formulation and evaluation of Diacerin Emulgel for psoriatic arthritis. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2014; 3(2): 625 - 638.