Omkar A. Devade, Rohan D. Londhe, Nisarga V. Sokate, Utkarsha R. Randave, Pallavi A. Ranpise
Omkar A. Devade*, Rohan D. Londhe, Nisarga V. Sokate, Utkarsha R. Randave, Pallavi A. Ranpise
Department of Pharmacology, AISSMS College of Pharmacy, Pune, Maharashtra – 411001, India.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2022
Polycystic ovary disorder (PCOD) is hormonal disorder among reproductive-age women. Causing enlarged ovaries with small cysts on the outer edges in patients with PCOD, the secretion rate and metabolism of androgens and estrogens are disrupted. The pathophysiology of the syndrome is complex and there is no single defect from which it is known to result, it is hypothesized that insulin resistance is a key factor. With regards to the increasing prevalence of PCOD and associated mental and physical problemsas well as the effects of changes in sex hormones in development of this disease, our aim is to investigate the effects of synthetic drug and herbal drug in the serum levels of sex hormones and ovarian tissue. Several Pharmacological studies have described the use of various Ayurvedic medicinal plants and their constituents play the important role for the treatment of PCOD.Therefore, this drug can be partly effective in this syndrome via affecting the different hormones and serum levels of ovarian morphology, weight and representing an opportunity to investigate and discovery new bioactive products. This review discussed some synthetic and herbal drug which has the potential for the treatment of PCOD
Cite this article:
Omkar A. Devade, Rohan D. Londhe, Nisarga V. Sokate, Utkarsha R. Randave, Pallavi A. Ranpise. A Review on: Polycystic Ovarian Disorder. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 12(3):219-6. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2022.00039
Omkar A. Devade, Rohan D. Londhe, Nisarga V. Sokate, Utkarsha R. Randave, Pallavi A. Ranpise. A Review on: Polycystic Ovarian Disorder. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 12(3):219-6. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2022.00039 Available on: https://ajpsonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-3-11
1. Wal, A., Wal, P., Saraswat, N. and Wadhwa, S., 2021. A Detailed Review on Herbal Treatments for Treatment of PCOS- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Current Nutraceuticals, 02. 10. 2174/2665978602666210805092103.
2. Wasata, R., 2020. Exploratory Study of knowledge and experience of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) among PCOS-diagnosed Bangladeshi women. Women Health Care and Issues, 3(1), pp.01-09.10.31579/2642-9756/021.
3. Sehar, S., 2021. Assessment of Knowledge regarding Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) among Nursing Students. International Journal of Nursing & Midwifery Research, 07(03), pp.42-45.10.24321/2455.9318.202025.
4. Baranova A, Tran T, Birerdinc A, Younossi Z. Systematic review: association of polycystic ovary syndrome with metabolic syndrome and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2011;33(7):801-814. 10.1111/j.1365-2036.2011.04579.x
5. Kousta E, Tolis G, Franks S. Polycystic ovary syndrome. Revised diagnostic criteria and long-term health consequences. HORMONES. 2005;4(3):133-147.10.14310/horm.2002.11151
6. Wal A, Wal P, Saraswat N, Wadhwa S. A Detailed Review on Herbal Treatments for Treatment of PCOS- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Current Nutraceuticals. 2021;02.10.2174/2665978602666210805092103.
7. Rosenfield R. Is polycystic ovary syndrome a neuroendocrine or an ovarian disorder?. Clinical Endocrinology. 1997;47(4):423-424.10.1046/j.1365-2265.1997.2911093.x.
8. Ramesh R. Significance of Ayurveda in Regulating Periods in Patients with PCOS/PCOD. Journal of Natural & Ayurvedic Medicine. 2018;2(5).10.23880/jonam-16000141.
9. Wasata R. Exploratory Study of knowledge and experience of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) among PCOS-diagnosed Bangladeshi women. Women Health Care and Issues. 2020;3(1):01-09.10.31579/2642-9756/021.
10. Londonkar R. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) - A Mini Review. Open Access Journal of Gynecology. 2018;3(1).10.23880/oajg-16000148.
11. Nirmala Jyothi. A Case Report on Pica: A rare pregnancy related complication. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research 5(1): Jan.-March 2015; Page137-139. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2015.00029.4
12. Anitharajendrababu, Mini Abraham. Effectiveness of Planned Teaching Programme regarding Polycystic Ovarian Disease among Adolescent Girls. Int. J. Adv. Nur. Management. 2017; 5(2):143-145. doi: 10.5958/2454-2652.2017.00030.0
13. G. Deepthi, P. Sankarakumaran, Albin Jerome, Deivendran Kalirathinam, Naresh Baskar Raj, Mahadeva Rao US. Effect of Aerobic Exercise in Improving the Quality of Life in Polycystic Ovarian Disease. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(6): 1788-1790. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2017.00315.8
14. Pauli J, Raja-Khan N, Wu X, Legro R. Current perspectives of insulin resistance and polycystic ovary syndrome. Diabetic Medicine. 2011;28(12):1445-1454.10.1111/j.1464-5491.2011.03460.x
15. Kousta E, Tolis G, Franks S. Polycystic ovary syndrome. Revised diagnostic criteria and long-term health consequences. HORMONES. 2005;4(3):133-147.10.14310/horm.2002.11151.
16. Pache TD, Fauser BC. Polycystic ovaries in female-to-male transsexuals. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 1993;39(6):702–703.
17. Ibáñez L, Oberfield S, Witchel S, Auchus R. An International Consortium Update: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome in Adolescence. Hormone Research in Paediatrics. 2017;88(6):371-395.10.1159/000479371.
18. George JT, Kakkar R, Marshall J, Scott ML, Finkelman RD, Ho TW, Veldhuis J, Skorupskaite K, Anderson RA, McIntosh S, Webber L. Neurokinin B receptor antagonism in women with polycystic ovary syndrome: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2016;101(11):4313–4321
19. Blank SK, McCartney CR, Marshall JC. The origins and sequelae of abnormal neuroendocrine function in polycystic ovary syndrome. Hum Reprod Update. 2006;12(4):351–361..
20. Chandrasekaran B, Shetty D, Singh A, Oliverraj J. Exercise in polycystic ovarian syndrome: An evidence-based review. Saudi Journal of Sports Medicine. 2017;17(3):123.10.4103/sjsm.sjsm_10_17.
21. Tanvir S. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome: A Syndrome Entailing early Diagnosis and Treatment. International Journal of Nursing & Midwifery Research. 2018;05(03):81-85.10.24321/2455.9318.201837.
22. Kim J, Tfayli H, Michaliszyn S, Arslanian S. Impaired Lipolysis, Diminished Fat Oxidation, and Metabolic Inflexibility in Obese Girls With Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2017;103(2):546-554.10.1210/jc.2017-01958.
23. Kaygusuz I, Karatas O, Kafali H, Cimentepe E, Unal D. Is polycystic ovarian syndrome a risk factor for urolithiasis?. Urolithiasis. 2013;41(4):361-362.10.1007/s00240-013-0564-9.
24. Walters K. Dissecting androgens in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). Endocrine Abstracts. 2019;.10.1530/endoabs.63.s27.1.
25. Eggers S, Hashimoto D, Kirchengast S. An evolutionary approach to explain the high frequency of the polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Anthropologischer Anzeiger. 2007;65(2):169-179.10.1127/anthranz/65/2007/169.
26. Balen A. Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). The Obstetrician & Gynaecologist. 2017;19(2):119-129.10.1111/tog.12345.
27. Gateva A. Assessment of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Patients’ Perception for Different Cardiovascular Risk Factors using Questionnaire. British Journal of Medicine and Medical Research. 2013;3(1):49-57.10.9734/bjmmr/2013/2078.
28. Shinde K, Patil S. Incidence and risk factors of polycystic ovary syndrome among women in reproductive age group attending a tertiary health care hospital in Western Maharashtra. International Journal of Reproduction, Contraception, Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2019;8(7):2804.10.18203/2320-1770.ijrcog20193046.
29. Sami D. Comparative evaluation of 25-Hydroxy vitamin D levels among women with polycystic ovarian syndrome and normal women of reproductive age group attending a tertiary care hospital. Journal of Medical Science And clinical Research. 2019;7(1).10.18535/jmscr/v7i1.107.
30. Choudhary A, Jain S, Chaudhari P. Prevalence and symptomatology of polycystic ovarian syndrome in Indian women: is there a rising incidence?. International Journal of Reproduction, Contraception, Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2017;6(11):4971.10.18203/2320-1770.ijrcog20175010.
31. Derouiche S,Cheradid T, Guessoum M. Heavy metals, Oxidative stress and Inflammation in Pathophysiology of Chronic Kidney disease - A Review. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2020; 10(3):202-206. doi: 10.5958/2231-5713.2020.00033.1
32. Sharma S, Majumdar A. Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in relation to body mass index and polycystic ovarian syndrome in Indian women. Journal of Human Reproductive Sciences. 2015;8(4):202.10.4103/0974-1208.170394.
33. Legro RS, Arslanian SA, Ehrmann DA, et al.; Endocrine Society. Diagnosis and treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013;98(12):4565-4592.
34. Legro RS, Brzyski RG, Diamond MP, et al.; NICHD Reproductive Medicine Network. Letrozole versus clomiphene for infertility in the polycystic ovary syndrome [published correction appears in N Engl J Med. 2014; 317(15):1465]. N Engl J Med. 2014;371(2):119-129.
35. Somani N, Turvy D. Hirsutism: an evidence-based treatment update. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2014;15(3):247-266.
36. Richardson MR. Current perspectives in polycystic ovary syndrome. Am Fam Physician. 2003;68(4):697-704.
37. Devade O, Londhe R, Rathod N, Kupate J, Meshram N. Ayurvedic Remedies of Covid-19. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research. 2021;70(2).
38. Mali KK, Sutar GV, Dias RJ, Devade OA. Evaluation of nootropicactivity of Limonia acidissima against scopolamine-induced amnesiain rats. Turk J Pharm Sci, 2021; 18(1): 3-9
39. OA Devade, RD Londhe. Medicinal plants with Memory enhancing activity: review. J Pharm Adv Res, 2022; 5(2): 1452-1459.
40. Rathinavel T, Palanisamy M, Palanisamy S, Subramanian A, Thangaswamy S. Phytochemical 6-Gingerol – A promising Drug of choice for COVID-19. International Journal of Advanced Science and Engineering. 2020;06(04):1482-1489. 0.29294/ijase.6.4.2020.1482- 1489
41. Zhu J, Chen H, Song Z, Wang X. Effects of Ginger (Zingiber officinale Roscoe) on Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and Components of the Metabolic Syndrome: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2018;2018:1-11.
42. G. Saravanan, P. Ponmurugan, M.A. Deepac, B. Senthilkumard, Anti-obesity action of gingerol: effect on lipid profile, insulin, leptin, amylase and lipase inmale obese ratsinduced by a high-fat diet, J. Sci. Food Agric. 94 (2014)2972e2977.
43. Pournaderi P, Yaghmaei P, Khodaei H, Noormohammadi Z. The effects of 6-Gingerol on reproductive improvement, liver functioning and Cyclooxygenase-2 gene expression in estradiol valerate – Induced polycystic ovary syndrome in Wistar rats. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. 2017;484(2):461-466
44. Swati Patni. Comprehensive Review of Medicinal plants used in treatment of Migraine. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2020; 10(3):189-194. doi: 10.5958/2231-5659.2020.00036.3
45. Deepak Prashar, Sanjay Saklani, Yogesh Barshiliya, Mohit Sharma, Sushant Mankotia, Ashish Soni. Pharma-Economical World of Herbal Antitussive- An Overview. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2(2): April-June 2012; Page 48-51
46. Deepak Prashar, Sanjay Saklani, Yogesh Barshiliya, Mohit Sharma, Sushant Mankotia, Ashish Soni. Pharma-Economical World of Herbal Antitussive- An Overview. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2(2): April-June 2012; Page 48-51
47. KP Sampath Kumar, Debjit Bhowmik, Biswajit, Chiranjib, Pankaj, KK Tripathi, Margret Chandira. Traditional Indian Herbal Plants Tulsi and Its Medicinal Importance. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2010; 2(2): 93-101
48. Silva R, e Silva D, Fontes H, Alviano C, Fernandes P, Alviano D. Anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antimicrobial activities of Cocos nucifera var. typica. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2013;13(1). 10.1186/1472-6882-13-107.
49. Yong JW, Ge L, Ng YF, Tan SN. The chemical composition and biological properties of coconut (Cocos nucifera L.) water. Molecules 2009; 14: 5144–5164, doi: 10.3390/ molecules14125144.
50. V. Soumya, Y.I. Muzib, P. Venkatesh, K. Hariprasath, GC-MS analysis of Cocusnucifera flower extract and its effects on heterogeneous symptoms ofpolycystic ovarian disease in female Wistar rats, Chin. J. Nat. Med. 12 (2014677–684.
51. Bency Baby T, Smitha Rani, Remya K, Shebina P Rasheed. Polycystic ovarian syndrome: Therapeutic potential of herbal remedies- A review. International Journal of Herbal Medicine 2016; 4(5): 91-96
52. Soumya V, Muzib Y, Venkatesh P, Hariprasath K. GC-MS analysis of Cocus nucifera flower extract and its effects on heterogeneous symptoms of polycystic ovarian disease in female Wistar rats. Chinese Journal of Natural Medicines. 2014;12(9):677-684.
53. Manoharan Y, Haridas V, Vasanthakumar K, Muthu S, Thavoorullah F, Shetty P. Curcumin: A Wonder Drug as a Preventive Measure for COVID19 Management. Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry. 2020;35(3):373-375. 10.1007/s12291-020-00902-9
54. Alsamydai A, Jaber N. Pharmacological aspects of curcumin: review article. International Journal of Pharmacognosy. E- ISSN: 2348-3962, P-ISSN: 2394-5583. 0.13040/IJPSR.0975-8232.IJP.5(6).313-326.
55. Reddy P, Begum N, Mutha S, Bakshi V. Beneficial effect of Curcumin in Letrozole induced polycystic ovary syndrome. Asian Pacific Journal of Reproduction. 2016;5(2):116-122.
56. Kaur R, Kaur H, Singh AD. Glycyrrhiza glabra: A phytopharmacological review. IJPSR, 2013; Vol. 4(7): 2470-2477.
57. Kataria R, Singh G. Pharmacological activities on glycyrrhiza glabra –A review. Asian J Pharm Clin Res, Vol 6, Suppl 1, 2013, 5-7
58. Indu Sharma, Bharat Parashar, Hitesh Kumar Dhamija, Ritu sharma. An Ayurvedic Arena for Hypertension Treatment. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2(2): April-June 2012; Page 54-58.
59. Yang H, Kim H, Pyun B, Lee H. Licorice ethanol extract improves symptoms of polycytic ovary syndrome in Letrozole-induced female rats. Integrative Medicine Research. 2018;7(3):264-270.
60. Shamsi M, Nejati V, Najafi G, Khajeh Pour S. Protective effects of licorice extract on ovarian morphology, oocyte maturation, and embryo development in PCOS-induced mice: An experimental study. International Journal of Reproductive BioMedicine (IJRM). 2020;.
61. Rao P, Gan S. Cinnamon: A Multifaceted Medicinal Plant. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2014;2014:1-12.
62. Wang J, Anderson R, Graham G, Chu M. The effect of cinnamon extract on insulin resistance parameters in polycystic ovary syndrome: a pilot study. Fertility and Sterility. 2007;88(1):240-243.
63. Dou L, Zheng Y, Li L. The effect of cinnamon on polycystic ovary syndrome in a mouse model. Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology. 2018;16(1).
64. Shirani K, Hassani FV, Azar-Khiavi KR, Moghaddam ZS, Karimi G. Determination of methanol in Iranian herbal distillates. J Complement Integr Med., 2016 Jun 1; 13(2): 123-7.
65. Roblová V, Bittová M, Kubáň P, Kubáň V. Capillary electrophoresis fingerprinting and spectrophotometric determination of antioxidantpotential for classification of Mentha products. J SepSci., 2016 Jul; 39(14): 2862-8.
66. Sadeghi Ataabadi M, Alaee S, Bagheri M. Role of Essential Oil of Mentha Spicata (Spearmint) in Addressing Reverse Hormonal and Folliculogenesis Disturbances in a Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome in a Rat Model. Advanced Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 2017;7(4):651-654.
67. Mehraban M, Jelodar G, Rahmanifar F. A combination of spearmint and flaxseed extract improved endocrine and histomorphology of ovary in experimental PCOS. Journal of Ovarian Research. 2020;13(1).
68. M. Amoura, Z.H. Lotfy, E. Neveen, A. Khloud, Potential effects of Mentha piperita (peppermint) on Letrozole-induced polycystic ovarian syndrome in female albino rat, Int. J. 3 (2015) 211–226.
69. Rahmani A, Alsahli M, Almatroodi S. Active Constituents of Pomegranates (Punica granatum) as Potential Candidates in the Management of Health through Modulation of Biological Activities. Pharmacognosy Journal. 2017;9(5):689-695.
70. Abedini M, Ghasemi‐Tehrani H, Tarrahi M, Amani R. The effect of concentrated pomegranate juice consumption on risk factors of cardiovascular diseases in women with polycystic ovary syndrome: A randomized controlled trial. Phytotherapy Research. 2020;35(1):442-451.
71. Hossein K, Leila K, Ebrahim T. The Effect of Pomegranate Juice Extract on Hormonal Changes of Female Wistar Rats Caused by Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Biomedical and Pharmacology Journal. 2015;8(2):971-977.
72. Sahu P, Giri D, Singh R, Pandey P. Therapeutic and Medicinal Uses of and lt;i>Aloe vera</i>: A Review. Pharmacology & Pharmacy. 2013;04(08):599-610.
73. Mithlesh Ojha, Neha Meshram, Ajay Singh, Amit Alexander, Ajazuddin, Mukesh Sharma. The Scope of Herbal Plants as the Source of Contraceptive Values in Males. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 5(1): Jan.-March 2015; Page 59-65. doi: 10.5958/2231-5659.2015.00010.7
74. Maharjan R, Nagar PS. Effect of Aloe barbadensis Mill.formulation on Letrozole induced polycystic ovariansyndrome rat model. J Ayurveda Integr Med 2010; 1(4): 273-279.
75. Ashkar F, Rezaei S, Salahshoornezhad S, Vahid F. The Role of medicinal herbs in treatment of insulin resistance in patients with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: A literature review. Biomolecular Concepts. 2020;11(1):57-75.
76. Soumya V, Muzib Y, Venkatesh P. A novel method of extraction of bamboo seed oil (Bambusa bambos Druce) and its promising effect on metabolic symptoms of experimentally induced polycystic ovarian disease.
77. A.V. Kamble, S.P. Dhamane, A.S. Kulkarni. Review on effects of herbal extract for the treatment of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). Plant Archives Volume 20 No. 1, 2020 pp. 1189-1195 e-ISSN:2581-6063 (online), ISSN:0972-5210.
78. Blumenthal M, Goldberg A, Brinckmann J, eds. Herbal Medicine: Expanded Commission E Monographs. Austin, TX: American Botanical Council and Newton, MA: Integrative Medicine Communications; 2000.
79. M.H. Bashtian, S.A. Emami, N. Mousavifar, H.A. Esmaily, M. Mahmoudi, A.H.M. Poor, Evaluation of fenugreek (Trigonella Foenum-graceum L.), effects seeds extract on insulin resistance in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome, Iranian J. Pharm. Res.: IJPR 12 (2013) 475.
80. Harris RE, Chlebowski RT, Jackson RD, et al. Breast cancer and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: prospective results from the Women’s Health Initiative. Cancer Res. 2003;63:6096–101.
81. Yunbao Liu, Rajesh Kakani, Nair MG. Compounds in functional food fenugreek spice exhibit anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activities. Food Chem. 2012;131(4):1187–92.
82. M.H. Bashtian, S.A. Emami, N. Mousavifar, H.A. Esmaily, M. Mahmoudi, A.H.M. Poor, Evaluation of fenugreek (Trigonella Foenum-graceum L.), effects seeds extract on insulin resistance in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome, Iranian J.Pharm. Res.: IJPR12 (2013)475.