Anethuem graveolens (dill) is a traditional herb used for flavouring the food materials. It is used as herbal medicine and aromatic herb for the treatment of flatulence, indigestion, bad breath, lactation motivation, stomachache, insomnia, gastrointestinal complications, intestinal spasms. Anethum graveolens possess significant pharmacological activities, particularly in diabetes mellitus and cardiovasculars disorders. Aerial parts of the plant are famous for its clinical importance. Now, Fresh leaves and seeds in dried form of Anethum graveolens are frequently used for the treatment of diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular problems. Anethum graveolens also has hypolipidemic and hypoglycemic effects and it reduce the glucose level in blood. It has some important therapeutic effects and used in Iranian folk medicine as an anti-hypercholesterolaemic plant. Limonene and Carvone are the most important constituents of A. graveolens that suppress the cyclooxygenase 1 and 2 pathways and prevent the release of inflammatory mediators. It has also antiglycation and antioxidant properties in form of dill tablet. It is a herbal medicine used as hypolipidemic agent in Iran. Anethum graveolens is best known as a reducer of glucose, cholesterol and lipid in traditional medicines. It is favorable for the reduction of hypoglycemia and lipid disorders in diabetic patients. AG have the different pharmacological effects such as antimicrobial, antispasmodic, antisecretary, anticancer, antigastric irritation, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and mucosal protective effects.
Cite this article:
Aqsa Yousaf, Sammia Shahid. The study of Anethum graveolens L. (Dill) in the case of Diabetes mellitus (DM). Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2020; 10(4):248-256. doi: 10.5958/2231-5659.2020.00045.4
Aqsa Yousaf, Sammia Shahid. The study of Anethum graveolens L. (Dill) in the case of Diabetes mellitus (DM). Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2020; 10(4):248-256. doi: 10.5958/2231-5659.2020.00045.4 Available on: https://ajpsonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-10-4-3
1. Nidhi M. Haematological and hypoglycemic potential Anethum graveolens seeds extract in normal and diabetic Swiss albino mice. Veterinary World. 6 (8); 2013: 502-507.
2. Ebrahim AO, Heidar T, Iraj K, Mohammad TG. Dill tablet: A potential antioxidant and anti-diabetic medicine. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. 5 (9); 2015: 720-727.
3. Fatemeh H, Mehernoosh Z, Fatemeh B, Kambiz AA, Golnaz A. The effects of anethum graveolens (dill) powder supplementation on glycemic control, lipid profile, some antioxidants and inflammatory markers, and gastrointestinal symptoms in type 2 diabetic patients: a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Journal of Isfahan Medical School. 32 (320); 2015: 2473-2483.
4. Majid M, Laleh P, Alireza O, Yasir Kb, Mohammad. AJ, Sepide. Mahluji. Anethum graveolens Supplementation Improves Insulin Sensitivity and Lipid Abnormality in Type 2 Diabetic Patients. Pharmaceutical sciences. 20 (45); 2014: 40-45.
5. Askari M, Hosseini SA. Effect of Hydroalcoholic Extracts of Anethum graveolens L. with Swimming Training on Lipid Profile of Diabetic Rats. Iranian Journal of Medicinal And Aromatic Plants. 22 (4); 2016: 345-351.
6. Laleha P, Alireza O, Majid M, Yaser Kb, Mohammad AJ, Ali BM, Sepide M. Anethum graveolens L. supplementation has the inflammatory effect in type 2 diabetic patients. Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge. 13 (3); 2014: 461-465.
7. Amir R, Samira G, Aliakbar HJ, Mostafa D. The effect of 4-weeks aerobic training according with the usage of Anethum Graveolens on blood sugar and lipoproteins profile of diabetic women. Annals of Biological Research. 3 (9); 2012: 4313-4319.
8. Mohammad TG, Iraj K, Heidar T, Ebrahim sAO. The Role of Anethum graveolens L. (Dill) in the Management of Diabetes. Journal of Tropical Medicine. 2016: 1-11.
9. Ebrahim AO, Iraj K, Fatemeh M, Mozafar K, Heidar T, Mohammad TG. Methanolic Extract of Dill Leaves inhibits AGEs Formation and Shows Potential Hepatoprotective Effects in CCl4 Induced Liver Toxicity in Rat. Journal of pharmaceutics. 2017: 1-9.
10. Masoume R, Azam B, Vahid N, Mandana S, Sattar O , Maryam Y, Mario G. Antinociceptive Properties of Hydro-Alcoholic Extracts of Anrthum graveolens L. (dill) Seed and Aerial Parts in Mice. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology. 3 (2); 2013: 1-4.
11. Mahdi AB, Marziyeh S, Hadi S, Mehdi H. The effect of endurance training and hydroalcoholic extract of Anethum Graveolens L. (dill) on biochemical cardiovascular risk factors in obese male rats. Journal of Basic Research in Medical Science. 6 (4); 2019: 1-11.
12. Ebrahim AO, Iraj K, Heidar T, Mohammad TG. Effect of dill tablet (Anethum graveolens L) on antioxidant status and biochemical factors on carbon tetrachloride-induced liver damage on rat. International Journal of Applied and Basic Medical Research. 6 (2); 2016: 111-114.
13. Heamalatha S, Swarnalatha S, Divya M, Gandhi LR, Ganga DA, Gomathi E. Pharmacognostical, Pharmacological, Investigation on Anethum Graveolens Linn. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences. 2 (4); 2011: 564-574.
14. Malihezaman M, Aazam G, Sanaz A, Elham A. Effects of Anethum graveolens L. (dill) on Oocyte and Fertility of Adult Feamle Rats. Journal of Reproduction and Infertility. 16 (1); 2015:10-17.
15. Ali Esmail A. The pharmacological importance of Anethum graveolens. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 6(4); 2014: 11-13.
16. Virendra SR, Maria AB. Chemical Composition of the Essential Oil of Anethum graveolens Aerial Parts. Journal of essential oil-bearing plants. 17(6); 2014: 1219-1223.
17. Imad HM. Use of Anethum graveolens in the management of patients with irritable Bowel Syndrome. Mustansiriya Medical Journal. 11 (1); 2012: 94-98.
18. Sebnem SI, Ayten S. Antioxidant potential of different dill (Anethum graveolens L.) leaf extracts. International Journal of Food Properties. 14; 2011: 894-902.
19. Ljiljana PS, Mihajlo. ZS, Dragon JC, B. R. Danilović, JC, Bojana RD. Dill (Anethum graveolens L.) seeds essential oil as a potential natural antioxidant and antimicrobial agent. Journal of Biological sciences. 7 (1); 2016: 31-39.
20. Mahmobeh H, Durdi Q, Ahmad T, Mohammad R, Karimollah. HT. Effects of Anethum graveolens, Urtica dioica, Milk thistle Aqueous Extract and Deferoxamine on total iron binding capacity, iron and ferritin levels. International Journal of Research in Applied and Basic Medical Sciences. (1); 2019:36- 43.