The diclofenac gel is prepared to treat thumb arthritis pain management. Thumb arthritis pain caused because of more friction in the base of thumb joint. The gel is semisolid dosage forms. The prepared gel is used on the skin, topical use. The affected area is applied over the diclofenac. The two gelling agent xanthan gum and cooling agent menthol were used in the development of the diclofenac sodium gel. The prepared gel formulations were estimated for drug content uniformity, viscosity, pH and stability. The drug release was quantified by in vitro diffusion through a cellulose membrane into phosphate buffer pH 6.8 at 37ºC.
Cite this article:
C. Kumaresan. Thumb arthritis treatment with diclofenac sodium Gel Formulation. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2020; 10(4):239-240. doi: 10.5958/2231-5659.2020.00043.0
1. https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/mayo-clinic-q-and-a-treating-thumb-arthritis/, assessed on 12/01/2020, 10.00AM.
2. https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-22221-4289/diclofenac-sodium-topical/diclofenac-3-topical/details, assessed on 12/01/2020, 12.00AM.
3. Formulation and Evaluation of Topical Gel of Lornoxicam Using a Range of Penetration Enhancers, Mundada M.S, Wankhede S.S Patwardhan S.K and Avachat A.M, India Journal of Pharmaceutical Education & Research, 2013; 47(2):168-171.
4. Formulation and evaluation of topical gel of meloxicam, Loveleenpreet kaur and Prabhjot kaur, International journal of research in pharmacy and chemistry, 2014; 4(3), 619-623.
5. Preparation and evaluation of diltiazem hydrochloride diffusion-controlled transdermal delivery system, Limpongsa E, Umprayn K. AAPS PharmSciTech., 2008;9(2):464-70.
6. Formulation and Characterization of Ketoprofen Emulgels, Ramakanth Ambala, Sateesh Kumar Vemula, Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, 2015; 5(7):112-117.