Sushant Bhamburkar, Shubham Khandare, Swanand Patharkar, Saurabh Thakare
Sushant Bhamburkar, Shubham Khandare, Swanand Patharkar, Saurabh Thakare
Department of Pharmaceutics, P. R. Pote College of Pharmacy, Pote Patil Road, Amravati. 444602.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2022
Thiocolchicoside is a most common used muscle relaxant in the case of treating acute painful muscle spasms. It has a selective affinity for the inhibitory gamma-amino butyric acid and glycinergic receptors, although, the proper pathway of the muscle relaxation is unknown till the date. This drug should be strictly prohibited in the patients causing seizures. The recent studies done by the European medicines agency says that it causes aneuploidy which leads to use of the drug for limited time period which was earlier considered safe. Aneuploidy is a common chromosome disorder occurring in the humans, which leads to genetic cause of miscarriage, congenital birth defects and reduced fertility in men. During pregnancy, in breastfeeding and in children below 16 years, Thiocolchicoside is contraindicated.
Cite this article:
Sushant Bhamburkar, Shubham Khandare, Swanand Patharkar, Saurabh Thakare. Thiocolchicoside: An Updated Review. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 12(3):213-8. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2022.00038
Sushant Bhamburkar, Shubham Khandare, Swanand Patharkar, Saurabh Thakare. Thiocolchicoside: An Updated Review. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 12(3):213-8. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2022.00038 Available on: https://ajpsonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-3-10
1. Malviya VR, Pande SD, Bobade NN. Preparation and evaluation of sustained release beads of zolmitriptan hydrochloride. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019 Dec 30;12(12):5972-6.
2. Kamath A. Thiocolchicoside: A review. DHR International Journal of Medical Sciences. 2013;4(2):39-45.
3. Malviya V, Thakur Y, Gudadhe SS, Tawar M. Formulation and evaluation of natural gum based fast dissolving tablet of Meclizine hydrochloride by using 3 factorial design 2. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2020;6(2):94-100.
4. Malviya VR, Pande SD. Road CKN. Preparation ad Evaluation of Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride Lozenge. J Pharma Res. 2019;8(8):624-9.
5. Aparna P, Geetha P, Shanmugasundaram P. Comparison of aceclofenac and combination (Aceclofenac+ thiocolchicoside) therapy in acute low back pain patients. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2016;9(11):1927-9.
6. Tiwari R, Pillai S. Spectrophotometric estimation of etodolac and thiocolchicoside in tablet dosage. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011;4(12):1891-5.
7. Malviya V, Ladhake V, Gajbiye K, Satao J, Tawar M. Design and characterization of phase transition system of zolmitriptan hydrochloride for nasal drug delivery system. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2020 May 31;13(3):4942-51.
8. Jadhav AP, Datar PA, Kedar TR, Kardile DP, Shete RV. Analytical method development and validation of thiocolchicoside and ibuprofen in tablet dosage form by UV-Spectrophotometry method. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Feb 1;14(2):981-5.
9. Choudhari GB, Adsule PV, Bedre RA, Choudhari VP, Sutar AS, Kuchekar BS. Development and Validation of UV Spectrophotometric Methods for Estimation of Mycophenolate Sodium in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Formulations. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2012;5(3):362-4.
10. Malviya VR, Tawar MG. Preparation and evaluation of oral dispersible strips of teneligliptin hydrobromide for treatment of diabetes mellitus. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2020 Jan 31;13(1):4745-52.
11. Malviya V, Manekar S. Design, Development and Evaluation of Aceclofenac and Curcumin Agglomerates by Crystallo Co-Agglomeration Technique. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Mar 1;14(3):1535-41.
12. Chaube PH, Gandhi SV, Deshpande PB, Kulkarni VG. High Performance Thin Layer Chromatographic Analysis of Paracetamol and Etoricoxib in Spiked Human Plasma. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011;4(8):1303-6.
13. Akhtar J, Pasha TY, Padaria M, Shah B, Mansuri N, Prajapati K. Spectrophotometric Methods for Simultaneous Estimation of Tramadol Hydrochloride and Diclofenac Sodium in Combined Dosage Form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2013 Mar 28;6(3):227-31.
14. Malviya V. Preparation and Evaluation of Emulsomes as a Drug Delivery System for Bifonazole. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research. 2021 Jan 1;55(1):86-94.
15. Chandrasekhar K, Manikandan A. A new rp-hplc method development and validation of paracetamol and aceclofenac in tablets by separating diclofenac. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020;13(9):4334-8.
16. Manideep G, Shane NL, Pai G, Sathyanarayana MB. Development and Validation of a UV Spectroscopic Method to Estimate Etoricoxib in Bulk and Tablet Formulation. Research Journal of pharmacy and Technology. 2018;11(2):758-60.
17. Caimmi D, Caviglioli S, Raschetti R, Demoly P. An IgE immediate reaction to thiocolchicoside. International Journal of Immunopathology and Pharmacology. 2012 Jan;25(1):267-8.
18. Europian Medicines Agency recommends restricting use of thiocolchicoside by mouth or injection.
19. Reuter S, Prasad S, Phromnoi K, Ravindran J, Sung B, Yadav VR, Kannappan R, Chaturvedi MM, Aggarwal BB. Thiocolchicoside exhibits anticancer effects through downregulation of NF-κB pathway and its regulated gene products linked to inflammation and cancer. Cancer Prevention Research. 2010 Nov 1;3(11):1462-72.
20. Burange PJ, Tawar MG, Bairagi RA, Malviya VR, Sahu VK, Shewatkar SN, Sawarkar RA, Mamurkar RR. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles by using Aloe vera and Thuja orientalis leaves extract and their biological activity: a comprehensive review. Bulletin of the National Research Centre. 2021 Dec;45(1):1-3.
21. Malviya V. Design and Characterization of Thermosensitive Mucoadhesive Nasal Gel for Meclizine Hydrochloride. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2022 Feb 28;15(1):5782-93.
22. Bigucci F, Abruzzo A, Saladini B, Gallucci MC, Cerchiara T, Luppi B. Development and characterization of chitosan/hyaluronan film for transdermal delivery of thiocolchicoside. Carbohydrate polymers. 2015 Oct 5;130:32-40.
23. Ketenci A, Ozcan E, Karamursel S (July 2005). "Assessment of efficacy and psychomotor performances of thiocolchicoside and tizanidine in patients with acute low back pain". International Journal of Clinical Practice. 59 (7): 764–70.
24. Sandouk P, Bouvier d'Yvoire M, Chretien P, Tillement JP, Scherrmann JM (January 1994). "Single-dose bioavailability of oral and intramuscular thiocolchicoside in healthy volunteers". Biopharmaceutics and Drug Disposition. 15 (1): 87–92.
25. Malviya V, Pande S. Development and Evaluation of Fast dissolving Film of Fluoxetine hydrochloride. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Oct 31;14(10):5345-50.
26. Kumar D, Ali J, Baboota S. Omega 3 fatty acid-enriched nanoemulsion of thiocolchicoside for transdermal delivery: formulation, characterization and absorption studies. Drug delivery. 2016 Feb 12;23(2):591-600.
27. Kaplan YC, Keskin-Arslan E, Küçüksolak G, Akyol F, Karadas B, Görgel SN, Kaya-Temiz T. Pregnancy outcomes after maternal use of thiocolchicoside: A case series. Reproductive Toxicology. 2018 Mar 1;76:103-8
28. Artusi M, Nicoli S, Colombo P, Bettini R, Sacchi A, Santi P. Effect of chemical enhancers and iontophoresis on thiocolchicoside permeation across rabbit and human skin in vitro. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2004 Oct 1;93(10):2431-8.
29. Giavina-Bianchi P, Giavina-Bianchi M, Tanno LK, Ensina LF, Motta AA, Kalil J (June 2009). "Epileptic seizure after treatment with thiocolchicoside". Therapeutics and Clinical Risk Management. 5 (3): 635–7.
30. Malviya V, Burange P, Thakur Y, Tawar M. Enhancement of Solubility and Dissolution Rate of Atazanavir Sulfate by Nanocrystallization. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research. 2021 Jul 1;55(3):S672-80.
31. Vargas F, Méndez H, Fuentes A, Sequera J, Fraile G, Velasquez M, Caceres G, Cuello K. Photosensitizing activity of thiocolchicoside: photochemical and in vitro phototoxicity studies. Die Pharmazie. 2001 Jan 1;56(1):83-8.
32. Malviya V, Tawar M, Burange P, Jodh R. A Brief Review on Resveratrol. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022 May 25;12(2):157-62.
33. Kertmen H, Gürer B, Yilmaz ER, Arikok AT, Demirci A, Gökyaprak SM, Sekerci Z. The effect of thiocolchicoside on cerebral vasospasm following experimental subarachnoid hemorrhage in the rabbit. Acta Neurochirurgica. 2012 Aug;154(8):1431-6.