Before the age of 30, most age-related physiological functions reach their peak and then slowly diminish; while this decline may be crucial under stress, it often has little to no impact on daily activities. The study's objective was to evaluate the physical health and overall well-being of the elderly people in a rural area of Chennai. With a sample size of 384 participants, a prospective cross-sectional study employing questionnaires was conducted. The survey evaluated the physical health and overall quality of life of the elderly population. The current investigation came to the conclusion that the physical and mental health of older populations is average. The majority of participants are dissatisfied with their lives, haven't engaged in any social club activities, and need assistance from others to get through their days.
Cite this article:
P. Geetha, N. Sathishkumar, A. Ramya. A Study on Physical Condition and Quality of Life among Geriatric Population in A Rural Area of Chennai - A Cross Sectional Study. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2023; 13(2):85-8. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2023.00016
P. Geetha, N. Sathishkumar, A. Ramya. A Study on Physical Condition and Quality of Life among Geriatric Population in A Rural Area of Chennai - A Cross Sectional Study. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2023; 13(2):85-8. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2023.00016 Available on: https://ajpsonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-13-2-2
1. Kinsella KG, Velkoff VA. An aging world: 2001. Bureau of Census; 2001.
2. Zazzara MB, Palmer K, Vetrano DL, Carfì A, Graziano O. Adverse drug reactions in older adults: a narrative review of the literature. European Geriatric Medicine. 2021 Jun; 12(3):463-73.
3. Karmakar N, Datta A, Nag K, Tripura K. Quality of life among geriatric population: A cross-sectional study in a rural area of Sepahijala District, Tripura. Indian Journal of Public Health. 2018 Apr 1; 62(2):95.
4. Sreenivasarao N, Rao AV. ‘SMART’Approach for Inclusion of Elderly in India: A Conceptual Framework. Research Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences. 2018; 9(1):4-10.
5. Akyol Y, Durmuş D, Doğan C, Bek Y, Cantürk F. Quality of life and level of depressive symptoms in the geriatric population. Archives of Rheumatology. 2010; 25(4):165-73.
6. García EL, Banegas JR, Perez-Regadera AG, Cabrera RH, Rodriguez-Artalejo F. Social network and health-related quality of life in older adults: a population-based study in Spain. Quality of Life Research. 2005 Mar; 14(2):511-20.
7. Sosnowski R, Kulpa M, Ziętalewicz U, Wolski JK, Nowakowski R, Bakuła R, Demkow T. Basic issues concerning health-related quality of life. Central European Journal of Urology. 2017 Jun 30; 70(2):206.
8. Elsenbruch S, Hahn S, Kowalsky D, Öffner AH, Schedlowski M, Mann K, Janssen OE. Quality of life, psychosocial well-being, and sexual satisfaction in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2003 Dec 1; 88(12):5801-7.
9. Giné-Garriga M, Roqué-Fíguls M, Coll-Planas L, Sitja-Rabert M, Salvà A. Physical exercise interventions for improving performance-based measures of physical function in community-dwelling, frail older adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2014 Apr 1; 95(4):753-69.
10. Simplican SC, Leader G, Kosciulek J, Leahy M. Defining social inclusion of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities: An ecological model of social networks and community participation. Research in Developmental Disabilities. 2015 Mar 1; 38:18-29.
11. Devraj S, D’mello MK. Determinants of quality of life among the elderly population in urban areas of Mangalore, Karnataka. J Geriatr Ment Health 2019; 6:94-8.
12. Karmakar N, Majumdar S, Dasgupta A, Das S. Quality of life among menopausal women: A community-based study in a rural area of West Bengal. J Mid-life Health 2017; 8:21-7.
13. Shah VR, Christian DS, Prajapati AC, Patel MM, Sonaliya KN. Quality of life among elderly population residing in urban field practice area of a tertiary care institute of Ahmadabad city, Gujarat. J Family Med Prim Care 2017; 6:101-5.
14. Santoni G, Angleman S, Welmer A-K, Mangialasche F, Marengoni A, Fratiglioni L (2015) Age-Related Variation in Health Status after Age 60. PLoS ONE 10(3): e0120077. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0120077