Nagaraja Sreeharsha, Mazen AL gharsan
firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Nagaraja Sreeharsha1, Mazen AL gharsan2
1Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Clinical Pharmacy, King Faisal University, Al-Ahsa-31982, Saudi Arabia.
2Master student, College of Clinical Pharmacy, King Faisal University, Saudi Arabia.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2022
The microneedling technique was initially introduced for skin rejuvenation in cosmetology. The technique is minimally invasive and therefore explored for the treatment of multiple dermatological conditions. High effectiveness, very less side effects and quick recovery time are the benefits of skin microneedling as a cosmetic, and medical treatment. Over the last two decades, the applications of microneedling in skin science have grown drastically. The technique is effective in the treatment of acne scar, vitiligo, alopecia, melasma, and skin cancer. The current review focuses on the cosmetic as well as therapeutic applications of microneedling for the treatment of various skin problems.
Cite this article:
Nagaraja Sreeharsha, Mazen AL gharsan. Therapeutics of microneedling for skin repair. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 12(3):199-4. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2022.00035
Nagaraja Sreeharsha, Mazen AL gharsan. Therapeutics of microneedling for skin repair. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 12(3):199-4. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2022.00035 Available on: https://ajpsonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-3-7
1. Gangale A, Ambore S, Gavit M, Lokhande S. A Pilot Study on Evaluation of Cucumis sativus L. as a Natural Antisolar agent. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2016;9(3):212-4.
2. Rittié L, Fisher GJ. Natural and sun-induced aging of human skin. Cold spring harbor perspectives in medicine. 2015;5(1):a015370.
3. Gozali D, Mustarichie R. Hair tonic formulation of anti-alopecia of Angiopteris evecta extract. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019;12(3):1079-85.
4. Khetarpal S, Soh J, Velez MW, Haimovic A. Microneedling. Advances in Cosmetic Surgery. 2019;2(1):47-53.
5. Donnelly RF, Singh TRR, Morrow DI, Woolfson AD. Microneedle-mediated transdermal and intradermal drug delivery. 2012.
6. Alster TS, Graham PM. Microneedling: a review and practical guide. Dermatologic Surgery. 2018;44(3):397-404.
7. Singh A, Yadav S. Microneedling: Advances and widening horizons. Indian dermatology online journal. 2016;7(4):244.
8. McCrudden MT, McAlister E, Courtenay AJ, González‐Vázquez P, Raj Singh TR, Donnelly RF. Microneedle applications in improving skin appearance. Experimental dermatology. 2015;24(8):561-6.
9. Fabbrocini G, De Vita V, Fardella N, Pastore F, Annunziata M, Mauriello M, et al. Skin needling to enhance depigmenting serum penetration in the treatment of melasma. Plastic surgery international. 2011;2011.
10. Iriarte C, Awosika O, Rengifo-Pardo M, Ehrlich A. Review of applications of microneedling in dermatology. Clinical, cosmetic and investigational dermatology. 2017;10:289.
11. Lee JC, Daniels MA, Roth MZ. Mesotherapy, microneedling, and chemical peels. Clinics in Plastic Surgery. 2016;43(3):583-95.
12. Lima EV, Lima MMD, Paixão MP, Miot HA. Assessment of the effects of skin microneedling as adjuvant therapy for facial melasma: a pilot study. BMC dermatology. 2017;17(1):1-6.
13. Silva S, Ferreira M, Oliveira A, Magalhães C, Sousa M, Pinto M, et al. Evolution of the use of antioxidants in anti‐ageing cosmetics. International Journal of Cosmetic Science. 2019;41(4):378-86.
14. Kryczyk-Poprawa A, Kwiecień A, Opoka W. Photostability of topical agents applied to the skin: a review. Pharmaceutics. 2020;12(1):10.
15. Saha D, Tamrakar A, Jana M, Mandal S. Skin Cancer: Dance of Death. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2011;1(2):34-6.
16. Fitzpatrick RE, Rostan EF. Double‐blind, half‐face study comparing topical vitamin C and vehicle for rejuvenation of photodamage. Dermatologic surgery. 2002;28(3):231-6.
17. Casabona G, Marchese P. Calcium hydroxylapatite combined with microneedling and ascorbic acid is effective for treating stretch marks. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Global Open. 2017;5(9).
18. Ismail ESA, Patsatsi A, Abd el‐Maged WM, Nada EEDAeA. Efficacy of microneedling with topical vitamin C in the treatment of melasma. Journal of cosmetic dermatology. 2019;18(5):1342-7.
19. Aust MC, Fernandes D, Kolokythas P, Kaplan HM, Vogt PM. Percutaneous collagen induction therapy: an alternative treatment for scars, wrinkles, and skin laxity. Plastic and reconstructive surgery. 2008;121(4):1421-9.
20. Garg S, Baveja S. Combination therapy in the management of atrophic acne scars. Journal of cutaneous and aesthetic surgery. 2014;7(1):18.
21. Wohlrab J, Kreft D. Niacinamide-mechanisms of action and its topical use in dermatology. Skin pharmacology and physiology. 2014;27(6):311-5.
22. Fivenson DP. The mechanisms of action of nicotinamide and zinc in inflammatory skin disease. Cutis. 2006;77(1 Suppl):5-10.
23. Kubiak R, Lange B. Percutaneous collagen induction as an additive treatment for scar formation following thermal injuries: preliminary experience in 47 children. Burns. 2017;43(5):1097-102.
24. Reuther T, Bayrhammer J, Kerscher M. Effects of a three-session skin rejuvenation treatment using stabilized hyaluronic acid-based gel of non-animal origin on skin elasticity: a pilot study. Archives of dermatological research. 2010;302(1):37-45.
25. Gentile RD. Update of Today's Facial Skin Rejuvenation Technology, An Issue of Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America E-Book: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2019.
26. Keller GS. Current Utilization of Biologicals, An Issue of Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2018.
27. Farahnik B, Park K, Kroumpouzos G, Murase J. Striae gravidarum: Risk factors, prevention, and management. International journal of women's dermatology. 2017;3(2):77-85.
28. Wollina U, Goldman A. Management of stretch marks (with a focus on striae rubrae). Journal of cutaneous and aesthetic surgery. 2017;10(3):124.
29. Schwarz M, Laaff H. A prospective controlled assessment of microneedling with the Dermaroller device. Plastic and reconstructive surgery. 2011;127(6):146e-8e.
30. Park KY, Kim HK, Kim SE, Kim BJ, Kim MN. Treatment of striae distensae using needling therapy: a pilot study. Dermatologic surgery. 2012;38(11):1823-8.
31. Khater MH, Khattab FM, Abdelhaleem MR. Treatment of striae distensae with needling therapy versus CO2 fractional laser. Journal of Cosmetic and Laser Therapy. 2016;18(2):75-9.
32. Nassar A, Ghomey S, El Gohary Y, El-Desoky F. Treatment of striae distensae with needling therapy versus microdermabrasion with sonophoresis. Journal of Cosmetic and Laser Therapy. 2016;18(6):330-4.
33. Ibrahim ZA, Hassan GF, Elgendy HY, Al‐shenawy HA. Evaluation of the efficacy of transdermal drug delivery of calcipotriol plus betamethasone versus tacrolimus in the treatment of vitiligo. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology. 2019;18(2):581-8.
34. Khater M, Nasr M, Salah S, Khattab FM. Clinical evaluation of the efficacy of trichloroacetic acid 70% after microneedling vs intradermal injection of 5‐fluorouracil in the treatment of nonsegmental vitiligo; a prospective comparative study. Dermatologic Therapy. 2020;33(4):e13532.
35. Stanimirovic A, Kovacevic M, Korobko I, Šitum M, Lotti T. Combined therapy for resistant vitiligo lesions: NB‐UVB, microneedling, and topical latanoprost, showed no enhanced efficacy compared to topical latanoprost and NB‐UVB. Dermatologic Therapy. 2016;29(5):312-6.
36. Aboul-Fettouh N, Marzolf S, Smith J, Srivastava D, Nijhawan R, Abuabara K, et al. Index to volume 79. dermatology. 2018;79:400-2.
37. Nikita S, Rashmi PS, Yogendra P, Pranay W, Ankita W, Rai A. Poly Herbal Hair Oil Preparation, Standardization, Treatment and Evaluation for Alopecia in Male Wistar Rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019;12(2):757-63.
38. Javeth A, Mathur R, Babu M. A correlational survey to assess the level of stress, coping strategies, and quality of life of female cancer patients related to chemotherapy induced alopecia in Amala Cancer Hospital, Thrissur, Kerala. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2017;7(1):1.
39. Kumar N, Singh S, Gupta R. Hair growth activity of Trichosanthes dioica R. leaves. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2011;3(1):30-3.
40. Dhurat R, Mathapati, S. (2015). Response to Microneedling Treatment in Men with Androgenetic Alopecia Who Failed to Respond to Conventional Therapy. Indian journal of dermatology, 60(3), 260–263.
41. . Satya Prakash Singh, Vijendra Pratap Singh A Survey Paper for Skin Cancer Detection Based on Retinex Theory Research J Engineering and Tech 2(4): Oct - Dec 2011 page 213-218.
42. Naguib, Y W, Kumar, A, & Cui, Z (2014) The effect of microneedles on the skin permeability and antitumor activity of topical 5-fluorouracil Acta pharmaceutica Sinica B, 4(1), 94–99.