The present study was performed to evaluate the hepatoprotective activity of ployherbal preparation of livina against ethanol-induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Four groups of adult albino wistar rats were taken for the study. Rats were divided into four groups each containing 6 animals. Group first is normal group received the normal saline 10ml/kg for 21th days. Group second negative control this group received ethanol 12ml/kg bw per day is standard dose of this group is Silymarin (100mg/kg) daily for 21th days and in 21th day administered ethanol. Group third is standard dose of this group is Silymarin (100mg/kg) daily for 21th days and in 21th day administered ethanol. Silymarin and ethanol is administered orally. Fourth group is treated with ethanol + livina (Herbal capsule). The level of Serum Glutamic Pyruvic Transaminase Test (SGPT), Serum Glutamic-Oxaloacetic Transaminase Test (SGOT), alkaline phosphatase (ALP) and total bilirubin were determined to assay hepatotoxicity. Ethanol administration caused severe hepatic damage in rats as evidenced by elevated serum SGPT, SGOT, ALP and total bilirubin levels. The polyherbal preparation of livina and silymarin administration prevented the toxic effect of ethanol. The present study concludes polyherbal preparation of livina that has significant hepatoprotective activity against ethanol induced hepatotoxicity, which may be associated with its bioactive component.
Cite this article:
Tariq Ahmad Khan, Rajesh Singh Pawar, Hargovind Garg. Evaluation of Polyherbal preparation of Livina against Ethanol Induced Liver Dysfunction. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 12(3):171-6. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2022.00029
Tariq Ahmad Khan, Rajesh Singh Pawar, Hargovind Garg. Evaluation of Polyherbal preparation of Livina against Ethanol Induced Liver Dysfunction. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 12(3):171-6. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2022.00029 Available on: https://ajpsonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-3-1
1. Muthukumaran P. Hazeena Begum V. Effect of Poorna Chandrodayam Chendooram (PCM - Metallic Drug) on Lipid Profile, Liver Function and Kidney Function Parameters of Rats. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2020; 10(1): 27-31
2. Suraj JP. Shivani DP. Pratibha BP. Pranali SP. Ganesh BV. Indryani DR. Evaluation of Standardization Parameters of Ayurvedic Marketed Polyherbal Formulation. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2020; 8(4): 220-226
3. Sathish R. Sravan Kumar P. Natarajan K. Sridhar N. Hepatoprotective and Anti Pyretic Activities of Methanolic Extract of Butea Monosperma Lam Stem Bark in Wister Rats Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2011; 1: 130-133.
4. Malathi SR. Ahamed J. Cholarajan A. Tylophora asthmatica L. Prevents Lipid Peroxidation in Acetaminophen Induced Hepato Toxicity in Rats, Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2011; 1: 71-73.
5. Kanakam V. Goli V. Bhaskar J. Srisailam K. More S. Antioxidant and Hepatoprotective Effects of the Methanol Extract of the Flowers of Tamarindus indica. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2011; 1(3): 73-78.
6. Sahu SK. Das D. Tripathy NK. Hepatoprotective activity of aerial part of Glinus oppositifolius L. against Paracetamol-induced Hepatic Injury in Rats. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2012; 2: (4): 154-156
7. Anurag N. Pathak AK. Ankur C. Priya S. Yogesh S. Evaluation of a Polyherbal Preparation for Wound Healing Activity. Research J. Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics, 2010; 2(5): 340-342.
8. Vilas A. Arsul RO. Ganjiwale PG. Yeole. Development and Validation of Phyllanthin by HPTLC in Hepatoprotective Polyherbal Tablet Dosage Form. Asian J. Research Chem. 2011; 4(5): 815-817.
9. Rajesh MG. Latha MS. Hepatoprotective Activity of Glycyrrhiza glabra Linn. on Experimental Liver Damage in Albino Rats. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, 2010; 2(4): 313-316.
10. Pradnya NJ. Prachali RC, Suhas, S. Pharmacological Evaluation of Livodac Tablet on Ethanol Induced Hepatotoxicity Models in Wistar Rats. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2020; 12(2): 91-97
11. Asoh S. Mori T. Nagai S. Yamagata K. Nishimaki K. Miyato Y. Ohta S. Zonal necrosis prevented by transduction of the artificial anti-death FNK protein. Cell Death & Differentiation, 2005; 12(4), 384-394.
12. Badar VA. Thawani VR. Wakode PT. Shrivastava MP. Gharpure KJ. Hingorani LL. Khiyani RM. Efficacy of Tinospora cordifolia in allergic rhinitis. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 2005; 96(3), 445-449.
13. Bagheri SM. Zare-Mohazabieh F. Momeni-Asl H. Yadegari M. Mirjalili A. Anvari M. Anti liver and hepatoprotective effects of aqueous extract of Plantago ovata seed on -ulcerated rats. Biomedical Journal, 2018; 41(1), 41-45.
14. Bennett WM. Drug nephrotoxicity: an overview. Renal Failure, 1997; 19(2), 221-224.
15. Bhandari U. Shamsher AA. Pillai KK. Khan MSY. Antihepatotoxic activity of ginger ethanol extract in rats. Pharmaceutical Biology, 2003; 41(1), 68-71.