Vedanshu Malviya, Mukund Tawar, Prashant Burange, Rahul Jodh
Vedanshu Malviya1*, Mukund Tawar2, Prashant Burange3, Rahul Jodh3
1Department of Pharmaceutics, P.R. Pote Patil College of Pharmacy, Amravati – 444602.
2Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, P.R. Pote Patil College of Pharmacy, Amravati – 444602.
3Department of Pharmacology, P.R. Pote Patil College of Pharmacy, Amravati – 444602.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2022
Resveratrol can be recognized as a best nutraceutical. Resveratrol is a novel nutraceutical in which not many details are known therefore an attempt was made to review the details which may be used for the further research. Resveratrol is known to be a polyphenol named as stilbenoid group which is a phytoalexin secreted by more than 70 plant species which is having many pharmacological activities like anticancer, anti-inflammatory, anti-ageing, neuroprotective, cardioprotective, anti-microbial and etc. This natural table top food has a lower bioavailability with lower aqueous solubility. From this review we can conclude that resveratrol is a unique complex having various properties with lots of other benefits.
Cite this article:
Vedanshu Malviya, Mukund Tawar, Prashant Burange, Rahul Jodh. A Brief Review on Resveratrol. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 12(2):157-2. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2022.00027
Vedanshu Malviya, Mukund Tawar, Prashant Burange, Rahul Jodh. A Brief Review on Resveratrol. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022; 12(2):157-2. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2022.00027 Available on: https://ajpsonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-2-13
1. Nawaz W, Zhou Z, Deng S, Ma X, Ma X, Li C, Shu X. Therapeutic versatility of resveratrol derivatives. Nutrients. 2017 Nov;9(11):1188.
2. Li M, Kildegaard KR, Chen Y, Rodriguez A, Borodina I, Nielsen J. De novo production of resveratrol from glucose or ethanol by engineered Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Metabolic Engineering. 2015 Nov 1;32:1-1.
3. Patidar M, Gopkumar P, Sridevi G, Behera CC, Pillai S. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Determination of Resveratrol and Curcumin in Pure Form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and technology. 2013;6(9):990-2.
4. Akinwumi BC, Bordun KA, Anderson HD. Biological activities of stilbenoids. International journal of molecular sciences. 2018 Mar;19(3):792.
5. Anisimova NY, Kiselevsky MV, Sosnov AV, Sadovnikov SV, Stankov IN, Gakh AA. Trans-, cis-, and dihydro-resveratrol: a comparative study. Chemistry Central Journal. 2011 Dec;5(1):1-6.
6. Shahid MA, Kumar YS, Farooq SU, Qureshi MS. Effect of Resveratrol Pretreatment on Intestinal Transport and Oral Bioavailability of Carvedilol in Rats by P-gp Inhibition. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020;13(4):1660-4.
7. Park EJ, Pezzuto JM. The pharmacology of resveratrol in animals and humans. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA)-Molecular Basis of Disease. 2015 Jun 1;1852(6):1071-113.
8. Umbare RP, Mate GS, Dongare SS. Anti-Ulcer Activity of Crude Alcoholic Extract of Rhizomes of Cissus repens Lan. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011;4(1):60-2.
9. Walle T. Bioavailability of resveratrol. Annals of the new York Academy of Sciences. 2011 Jan;1215(1):9-15.
10. Fan P, Marston A, Hay AE, Hostettmann K. Rapid separation of three glucosylated resveratrol analogues from the invasive plant Polygonumcuspidatum by high‐speed countercurrent chromatography. Journal of separation science. 2009 Sep;32(17):2979-84.
11. Shan B, Cai YZ, Brooks JD, Corke H. Antibacterial properties of Polygonumcuspidatum roots and their major bioactive constituents. Food Chemistry. 2008 Aug 1;109(3):530-7.
12. Jacob C, Kirsch G, Slusarenko A, Winyard PG, Burkholz T, editors. Recent Advances in Redox Active Plant and Microbial Products: From Basic Chemistry to Widespread Applications in Medicine and Agriculture. Springer; 2014 Nov 25.
13. Su D, Cheng Y, Liu M, Liu D, Cui H, Zhang B, Zhou S, Yang T, Mei Q. Comparision of piceid and resveratrol in antioxidation and antiproliferation activities in vitro. PloS one. 2013 Jan 16;8(1):e54505.
14. Fabris S, Momo F, Ravagnan G, Stevanato R. Antioxidant properties of resveratrol and piceid on lipid peroxidation in micelles and monolamellar liposomes. Biophysical chemistry. 2008 Jun 1;135(1-3):76-83.
15. Rajasekaran A, Sivagnanam G, Xavier R. Nutraceuticals as therapeutic agents: A Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008;1(4):328-40.
16. Park S, Lim J, Kim JR, Cho S. Inhibitory effects of resveratrol on hepatitis B virus X protein-induced hepatocellular carcinoma. Journal of veterinary science. 2017 Dec 1;18(4):419-29.
17. Merlin NJ, Parthasarathy V, Manavalan R. Role of Flavanoids in Free Radical Induced Hepatic Fibrosis. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2009;2(1):52-7.
18. Yeo SC, Ho PC, Lin HS. Pharmacokinetics of pterostilbene in S prague‐D awley rats: The impacts of aqueous solubility, fasting, dose escalation, and dosing route on bioavailability. Molecular nutrition & food research. 2013 Jun;57(6):1015-25.
19. Bhalke RD, Giri MA, Pal SC. Antiulcer activity of methanol extract of leaves of Bauhinia racemosa Linn (Leguminaceae). Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011;4(1):124-7.
20. Rimando A.M., Suh N. Biological/chemopreventive activity of stilbenes and their effect on colon cancer. Planta Med. 2008;74:1635–1643.
21. Kuršvietienė L, Stanevičienė I, Mongirdienė A, Bernatonienė J. Multiplicity of effects and health benefits of resveratrol. Medicina. 2016 Jun;52(3):148-55.
22. Yadav R, Srivastava P. Interaction Study of Antioxidants with Progressive Myoclonus Epilepsy by Molecular Docking Techniques. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019;12(2):584-8.
23. Yang T, Wang L, Zhu M, Zhang L, Yan L. Properties and molecular mechanisms of resveratrol: a review. Die Pharmazie-An International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2015 Aug 1;70(8):501-6.
24. Gokce EH, Korkmaz E, Dellera E, Sandri G, Bonferoni MC, Ozer O. Resveratrol-loaded solid lipid nanoparticles versus nanostructured lipid carriers: evaluation of antioxidant potential for dermal applications. International journal of nanomedicine. 2012;7:1841.
25. Bele AA, Khale A. An approach to a Nutraceutical. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2013 Oct 1;6(10):1161-4.
26. Stivala LA, Savio M, Carafoli F, Perucca P, Bianchi L, Maga G, Forti L, Pagnoni UM, Albini A, Prosperi E, Vannini V. Specific structural determinants are responsible for the antioxidant activity and the cell cycle effects of resveratrol. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2001 Jun 22;276(25):22586-94.
27. Rajam RP, Muthukumar KR. An Updated Comprehensive Review on Nanosponges–Novel Emerging Drug Delivery System. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Aug 6;14(8):4476-84.
28. Walle T. Bioavailability of resveratrol. Annals of the new York Academy of Sciences. 2011 Jan;1215(1):9-15.
29. Johnson JJ, Nihal M, Siddiqui IA, Scarlett CO, Bailey HH, Mukhtar H, Ahmad N. Enhancing the bioavailability of resveratrol by combining it with piperine. Molecular nutrition & food research. 2011 Aug;55(8):1169-76.
30. Francioso A, Mastromarino P, Masci A, d’Erme M, Mosca L. Chemistry, stability and bioavailability of resveratrol. Medicinal Chemistry. 2014 May 1;10(3):237-45.
31. Wenzel E, Somoza V. Metabolism and bioavailability of trans‐resveratrol. Molecular nutrition & food research. 2005 May;49(5):472-81.
32. Smoliga JM, Blanchard O. Enhancing the delivery of resveratrol in humans: if low bioavailability is the problem, what is the solution?. Molecules. 2014 Nov;19(11):17154-72.
33. AL-Azawi AH, Salih WY, Hassan ZH. Phytochemical and Antioxidant Activity of (Arachis hypogaea L.) Skin Extract Scultiv Atedin Iraq. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2017;10(11):3721-6.
34. Pandita D, Kumar S, Poonia N, Lather V. Solid lipid nanoparticles enhance oral bioavailability of resveratrol, a natural polyphenol. Food research international. 2014 Aug 1;62:1165-74.
35. Duarte A, Martinho A, Luís Â, Figueiras A, Oleastro M, Domingues FC, Silva F. Resveratrol encapsulation with methyl-β-cyclodextrin for antibacterial and antioxidant delivery applications. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 2015 Oct 1;63(2):1254-60.
36. Bhullar KS, Hubbard BP. Lifespan and healthspan extension by resveratrol. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA)-Molecular Basis of Disease. 2015 Jun 1;1852(6):1209-18.
37. Konyalioglu S, Armagan G, Yalcin A, Atalayin C, Dagci T. Effects of resveratrol on hydrogen peroxide-induced oxidative stress in embryonic neural stem cells. Neural regeneration research. 2013 Feb 25;8(6):485.
38. Means JC, Gerdes BC, Koulen P. Distinct mechanisms underlying resveratrol-mediated protection from types of cellular stress in C6 glioma cells. International journal of molecular sciences. 2017 Jul;18(7):1521.
39. Bishayee A. Cancer prevention and treatment with resveratrol: from rodent studies to clinical trials. Cancer prevention research. 2009 May 1;2(5):409-18.
40. Zykova TA, Zhu F, Zhai X, Ma WY, Ermakova SP, Lee KW, Bode AM, Dong Z. Resveratrol directly targets COX‐2 to inhibit carcinogenesis. Molecular Carcinogenesis: Published in cooperation with the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. 2008 Oct;47(10):797-805.
41. Varoni EM, Lo Faro AF, Sharifi-Rad J, Iriti M. Anticancer molecular mechanisms of resveratrol. Frontiers in nutrition. 2016 Apr 12;3:8.
42. Pezzuto JM. Resveratrol as an inhibitor of carcinogenesis. Pharmaceutical Biology. 2008 Jan 1;46(7-8):443-573.
43. Van Ginkel PR, Sareen D, Subramanian L, Walker Q, Darjatmoko SR, Lindstrom MJ, Kulkarni A, Albert DM, Polans AS. Resveratrol inhibits tumor growth of human neuroblastoma and mediates apoptosis by directly targeting mitochondria. Clinical Cancer Research. 2007 Sep 1;13(17):5162-9.
44. Kundu JK, Surh YJ. Cancer chemopreventive and therapeutic potential of resveratrol: mechanistic perspectives. Cancer letters. 2008 Oct 8;269(2):243-61.
45. Li L, Qiu RL, Lin Y, Cai Y, Bian Y, Fan Y, Gao XJ. Resveratrol suppresses human cervical carcinoma cell proliferation and elevates apoptosis via the mitochondrial and p53 signaling pathways. Oncology Letters. 2018 Jun 1;15(6):9845-51.
46. Cheng L, Yan B, Chen K, Jiang Z, Zhou C, Cao J, Qian W, Li J, Sun L, Ma J, Ma Q. Resveratrol-induced downregulation of NAF-1 enhances the sensitivity of pancreatic cancer cells to gemcitabine via the ROS/Nrf2 signaling pathways. Oxidative medicine and cellular longevity. 2018 Jan 1;2018.
47. Yan F, Sun X, Xu C. Protective effects of resveratrol improve cardiovascular function in rats with diabetes. Experimental and therapeutic medicine. 2018 Feb 1;15(2):1728-34.
48. Delucchi F, Berni R, Frati C, Cavalli S, Graiani G, Sala R, Chaponnier C, Gabbiani G, Calani L, Del Rio D, Bocchi L. Resveratrol treatment reduces cardiac progenitor cell dysfunction and prevents morpho-functional ventricular remodeling in type-1 diabetic rats. PLoS One. 2012 Jun 29;7(6):e39836.
49. Sun AY, Wang Q, Simonyi A, Sun GY. Resveratrol as a therapeutic agent for neurodegenerative diseases. Molecular neurobiology. 2010 Jun 1;41(2-3):375-83.
50. Tellone E, Galtieri A, Russo A, Giardina B, Ficarra S. Resveratrol: a focus on several neurodegenerative diseases. Oxidative medicine and cellular longevity. 2015 Oct;2015.
51. Dvorakova M, Landa P. Anti-inflammatory activity of natural stilbenoids: A review. Pharmacological Research. 2017 Oct 1;124:126-45.
52. Méndez-Vilas A. Science against microbial pathogens: Communicating current research and technological advances; Proceedings of the Formatex Research Center; Badajoz, Spain. December 2011; pp. 693–1348.
53. Hwang D, Lim YH. Resveratrol antibacterial activity against Escherichia coli is mediated by Z-ring formation inhibition via suppression of FtsZ expression. Scientific reports. 2015 May 5;5:10029.
54. Pervaiz S, Holme AL. Resveratrol: its biologic targets and functional activity. Antioxidants & redox signaling. 2009 Nov 1;11(11):2851-97.
55. Martins LA, Coelho BP, Behr G, Pettenuzzo LF, Souza IC, Moreira JC, Borojevic R, Gottfried C, Guma FC. Resveratrol induces pro-oxidant effects and time-dependent resistance to cytotoxicity in activated hepatic stellate cells. Cell biochemistry and biophysics. 2014 Mar 1;68(2):247-57.
56. Detampel P, Beck M, Krähenbühl S, Huwyler J. Drug interaction potential of resveratrol. Drug metabolism reviews. 2012 Aug 1;44(3):253-65.
57. Piver B, Berthou F, Dreano Y, Lucas D. Inhibition of CYP3A, CYP1A and CYP2E1 activities by resveratrol and other non volatile red wine components. Toxicology letters. 2001 Nov 30;125(1-3):83-91.
58. Chow HS, Garland LL, Hsu CH, Vining DR, Chew WM, Miller JA, Perloff M, Crowell JA, Alberts DS. Resveratrol modulates drug-and carcinogen-metabolizing enzymes in a healthy volunteer study. Cancer Prevention Research. 2010 Sep 1;3(9):1168-75.
59. Zha W. Transporter-mediated natural product–drug interactions for the treatment of cardiovascular diseases. journal of food and drug analysis. 2018 Apr 1;26(2):S32-44.
60. Bertelli AA, Giovannini L, Giannessi D, Migliori M, Bernini W, Fregoni M, Bertelli A. Antiplatelet activity of synthetic and natural resveratrol in red wine. International journal of tissue reactions. 1995;17(1):1