Antibiotics are most widely used therapeutics among drugs, which exerts their therapeutic effects by inhibiting the growth of bacteria. For decades various classes of antibiotics have not only been used in medical sector but are used in various other sectors such as agriculture and animal husbandry. Due to overuse of antibiotics, the process of antibiotic resistance is increases. Antibiotic resistance is one of the important factors involved in public health authorities at global level. The main aim of this review is to explain the phenomenon of antibiotic resistance, history and biology of antibiotic resistance involving various mechanisms of resistance. It also explains about antibiotics their history, mode of action and classification of antibiotics and how to reduce the spread of antibiotic resistance.
Cite this article:
Kishnani Khushboo, Bhandari Saloni, Rathore Kamal Singh. A Briefing of a Global Crisis: Antibiotic Resistance. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2020; 10(4):264-272. doi: 10.5958/2231-5659.2020.00047.8
1. Dugassa, Jiregna, Nesrie and Shukuri. Review on Antibiotic Resistance and Its Mechanism of Development. Journal of Health, Health, Medicine and Nursing. 2017; 1(3):1-17. https:// www.iprjb.org/journals/index.php/JHMN/article/view/560
2. Laws Mark, Shabaan Ali and Rahman M.K. Antibiotic Resistance Breakers: Current Approaches and Future Directions. FEMS Microbiology Reviews. 2019; 43(5): 490-516. https://doi.org/ 10.1093/femsre/fuz014
3. Baloch, Zulqarnain, Salamat, Muhammad et al. Antibiotic Resistance: A Rundown on Global Crisis. Infection and Drug Resistance. Volume 11. 10.2147/Idr.S173867.
4. Zaman, So, Hossain, Naznin et al. A Review on Antibiotic Resistance: Alarm Bells are Ringing. Cureus. 9. E1403. 10.7759/ Cureus.1403. https://www.cureus.com/articles/7900-a-review-on-antibiotic-resistance-alarm-bells-are- ringing
5. Vantola L.C., Ms. Antibiotic Resistance Crisis, Part 1: Causes and Threats. P&T. 2015; 40(4): 277-283. https:// pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25859123/
6. Healio Endocrine Today. Penicillin: An Accidental Discovery Changed the Course of Medicine. Available from: URL: https:// www.healio.com/endocrinology/news/print/endocrine-today/%7B15afd2a1-2084-4ca6-a4e6-7185f5c4cfb0%7D/penicillin-an-accidental-discovery-changed-the-course-of-medicine
8. Kapoor, G., Saigal, S., Elongavan, A. Action and Resistance Mechanisms of Antibiotics: A Guide for Clinicians. Journal of Anesthesiology, Clinical Pharmacology. 2017; 33(3): 300–305. https://Doi.Org/10.4103/Joacp.JOACP_349_15
9. Munita J. M. And Arias C. A. Mechanism of Antibiotic Resistance. Microbiology Spectrum. 2015; 4(2). https:// www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6283892/
10. Guèrillot R., Li L., Baines S. Et Al. Comprehensive Antibiotic Linked Mutation Assessment By Resistance Mutation Sequencing.Genome Med. 2018; 10(63). https:// www.researchgate.net/publication/327347878_Comprehensive_antibiotic-linked_mutation_assessment_by_resistance_mutation_ sequencing_RM-seq
11. SAGA Tomoo, Yamaguchi Keizo. History of Antimicrobial Agents and Resistant Bacteria. JMAJ. 2009; 52(2): 103-108. https://www.med.or.jp/english/journal/toc/v52no02.html
13. Levy S.B. Factors Impacting on the Problem of Antibiotic Resistance. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. 2002; 49(1): 25-30. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/49.1.25
14. S. Džidić et al. Antibiotic Resistance in Bacteria. Food Technol. Biotechnol. 2008; 46(1): 11-21 https://www.researchgate.net/ publication/285963920_Antibiotic_resistance_mechanisms_in_bacteria_Biochemical_and_genetic_aspects
15. Fernandez L. And Hancock. Adaptive and Mutational Resistance: Role of Porins and Efflux Pumps in Drug Resistance. Clinical Microbiology Reviews. 2012; 25(4): 661-681. https:// pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23034325/
16. Giedraitienė A., Vitkauskienė A., Naginienė R. et al. Antibiotic Resistance Mechanism of Clinically Important Bacteria. Medicina (Kaunas). 2011; 47(3); 137-146. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ 21822035/
17. Willey J, Sherwood L, Wolver Ton C. Prescott. Microbiology. Mcgraw-Hill, New York, 2013.
18. André Zapun, Carlos Contreras-Martel, et al. Penicillin-Binding Proteins and Β-Lactam Resistance. FEMS Microbiology Reviews. 2008; 32(2): 361–385, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6976.2007.00095.x
20. Nikaido Hiroshi. Multidrug Resistance in Bacteria. Annual Review Biochemistry. 2009; 78: 119-146. https:// pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19231985/
21. Alyan L. Fymat. Biomed J Science and Technology. 2017; 1(1): 65-80.
22. Kumar et al. Mechanism and Emergence of Antimicrobial Drug Resistance. Adv.Anim.Vet.Sci.1. 2013; (2s):7-14. https:// www.researchgate.net/publication/274382304_An_Overview_of_Mechanisms_and_Emergence_of_Antimicrobial_Drug_Resistance
23. Tripathi KD. Essentials of Medical Pharmacology. Jaypee, Haryana, 2015.
24. Gustav Bohlin. Evolving Germs – Antibiotic Resistance and Natural Selection in Education and Public Communication. Available from: URL: https://www.divaportal.org/smash/get/ diva2:1144138/FULLTEXT02.pdf/2017
25. Kaplan Tyler. The Role of Horizontal Gene Transfer in Antibiotic Resistance. Eukaryon. 2014; 10: 80-81.
26. Bello-López J.M., Cabrero-Martínez O.A. et al. Horizontal Gene Transfer and Its Association with Antibiotic Resistance in the Genus Aeromonas Spp. Microorganisms. 2019; 7(9): 363. https:// doi.org/10.3390/microorganisms7090363
27. Gupte Satish. The Short Textbook of Medical Microbiology. Jaypee, Haryana, 2010.
28. Balcazar Jose. Bacteriophages as Vehicles for Antibiotic Resistance Gene In The Environment. Plos Pathogens. 2014; 10(7).
29. Griffiths AJF, Miller JH, Suzuki DT et al. An Introduction to Genetic Analysis. 7th Edition. New York: W. H. Freeman; 2000. Bacterial Transformation. Available From: https:// www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK21993/
30. http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/disease-prevention/ antimicrobial-resistance/news/news/2012/11/antibiotic-resistance-a-growing-threat/how-to-reduce-the-spread-of-antibiotic-resistance
31. Ghilcrist. 4 Ways Pharmacist Can Fight Antibiotic Resistance. Pharmacy Times, 19 November. Available from: URL: https:// www.pharmacytimes.com/news/4-ways-pharmacists-can-fight-antibiotic-resistance