The transdermal drug delivery system provides an attractive alternative to traditional methods like oral administration and injections for delivering drugs. However, the stratum corneum acts as a barrier that limits the penetration of substances through the skin. Recently, researchers have suggested and demonstrated that incorporating nanoemulsion into a transdermal patch can significantly enhance skin permeability and improve transdermal delivery. Studies have shown that nanoemulsion is a more effective drug delivery system compared to other incorporated transdermal methods. The effectiveness of the nanoemulsion is influenced by the choice and properties of the surfactant and co-surfactant used. Therefore, this review article examines the ability of nanoemulsion incorporated in transdermal patch for drug delivery system.
Cite this article:
Sharma Kruti, Musaratafrin Saiyed. A Systemic Review on Nanoemulsion based Transdermal Drug Delivery System: A Novel Drug Delivery System. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2023; 13(4):303-8. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2023.00051
Sharma Kruti, Musaratafrin Saiyed. A Systemic Review on Nanoemulsion based Transdermal Drug Delivery System: A Novel Drug Delivery System. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2023; 13(4):303-8. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2023.00051 Available on: https://ajpsonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-13-4-6
1. Reza, K. H. Nanoemulsion as a novel transdermal drug delivery system. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2011; 2(8): 1938.
2. Halnor, V. V., Pande, V. V., Borawake, D. D., and Nagare, H. S. Nanoemulsion: A novel platform for drug delivery system. J Mat Sci Nanotechol. 2018; 6(1): 104.
3. Ch. Nagadev, M. Durga Srinivasa Rao, P. Venkatesh, D. Hepcykalarani, R. Prema. A Review on Transdermal Drug Delivery Systems. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2020; 10(2):109-114.
4. Nikhil Patel, Chetan Patel, Savan Vachhani, ST Prajapati, CN Patel. Recent Advances in Transdermal Drug Delivery System. Research J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech. 2010; 2(2):113-119.
5. Rakesh K Sindhu, Mansi Chitkara, Gagandeep Kaur, Preeti Jaiswal, Ashutosh Kalra, Inderbir Singh, Pornsak Sriamornsak. Skin Penetration Enhancer’s in Transdermal Drug Delivery Systems. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(6): 1809-1815.
6. Chien, YW, Novel drug delivery systems, Drugs and the Pharmaceutical Sciences, Vol.50, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY;1992;797
7. Rahul P. Jadhav, Vikranti W. Koli, Amruta B. Kamble, Dr. Mangesh A. Bhutkar. A Review on Nanoemulsion. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2020; 10(2):103-108.
8. Mithun Bhowmick, Tamizharasi Sengodan, Sivakumar Thangavel. Challenges Facing Transdermal Drug Delivery Systems: A Conceptual Approach. Research J. Science and Tech. 2012; 4(5): 213-219.
9. Samadhan K. Deore, Rajendra K Surawase, Avish Maru. Formulation and Evaluation of O/W Nanoemulsion of Ketoconazole. Res. J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech.2019; 11(4):269-274.
10. Somagoni, J., Boakye, C. H. A., Godugu, C., Patel, A. R., Mendonca Faria, H. A., Zucolotto, V., and Singh, M. Nanomiemgel - A Novel Drug Delivery System for Topical Application - In Vitro and In Vivo Evaluation. PLoS ONE. 2014; 9(12): e115952. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0115952